Hello everyone i am so excited about my new axolotl goliad!!

Goliad

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi!

I have been wanting an axolotl for a very long time now, and last week for my 25th birthday I received one!!! It is about 5 months old, a beautiful golden albino!! She swims next to my face and blows bubbles and like to float around and hide in her pot. She loves hide and seek and she adores her brine shrimp! I am going to try to feed her bloodworms next week and see if she likes them. I'm trying my hardest to take the best care of her possible!! (I can't tell if it's a he or a she yet so I'm just calling it a she for now!)

I love reading the information everyone posts and I can't wait to learn all about axolotls!!

I want to attach pictures but my phone won't let me :( hopefully I'll figure out how this forum works soon enough so I can show you guys little Goliad!!
:))

Hello and welcome to the forum. :happy:
Is that Goliad in your profile pic? :D
At 5 months you can try her with earthworms. They are the best main diet for axolotls as they provide most of the nutrients, then add a bit of variety with other foods.
Axolotls are awesome, so glad you finally got one. :happy:

Yes it sure is! She is a very funny little golden albino! I've been having a bit of trouble with her floating... I've had her for almost two weeks now, and for the past few days she has been floating not able to come back to the ground.. I know it is definitely the food because I checked the water and there is nothing wrong. Is it true that if you don't completely thaw out their food it can cause them to float?

The pet shop fed her beef heart every day, but I have read everywhere that it is quite fatty and not an ideal food for them.. What do you think?

I am finding it hard to get hold of earthworms in pet shops in Australia. Do they provide them for reptiles? Do they come frozen?

Sorry for all of the questions!!

Goliad is very cute.
Sometimes axolotls float if they are a bit constipated. I think on one of the other threads an axolotl was floating because their food may have been a bit gone off and may have been causing bacteria & gas to accumulate in their stomach. When was the last time she pooped? It could be just that.
As far as food is concerned, I've attached some links with useful information.
Caudata Culture Articles - Food Items for Captive Caudates
Axolotls - Feeding
I feed mine mainly on earthworms, which I get from a fish shop that also deals with reptiles and sells live food. You can also order worms via the internet, or set up your own wormery. On top of this, axolotl pellets, fish & seafood occasionally ensures that they are getting a good variety in their diet.

Awesome thanks heaps! :D I have bought her some new food as I think her other food may possibly have gone off. I will have a look for earthworms in my area! I think she will love them! Thanks heaps for your help! :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back