hello everyone

MikeM

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Display Name
ItalianSausage
i recently found a slender salamander in my backyard, like i used to catch when i was younger, and it sparked something in me that has me interested in setting up a small tank(probably a 2.5 gallon) and tring to get hold of one of these guys, Aneides lugubris - Arboreal Salamander. a link for better pics and info. http://www.californiaherps.com/salamanders/pages/a.lugubris.html Luckily i live in the Bay Area which is supposed to be the hot spot for these guys, but ive never ever seen one. Anyways i am looking to set up a 2.5 with a salamander, but am unsure as to which i will go with, any suggestions greatly appreciated.

also any more info on these, Neurergus kaiseri, would be greatly appreciated. they are goreous.

Hello MikeM and welcome to the forum,

my first suggestion would be to consider something a bit bigger than an 2.5 gallon tank, a 10 gallon is fairly inexpensive and is usually a good size for one salamander, of course we always say the bigger the better.

Here is a link to the Neurergus Kaiseri care sheet, if you are looking at getting some of these guys you can look at our for-sale section or post an ad in our wanted section.

Good luck,
Eve

i actually am going to go on an Arboreal Salamnder hunt tomorrow, im determined to find these buggers. im thinking about building my own tank.

Can anyone suggest a fun newt or salamander to own that would need a smaller sized tank? im wanting to build my own tank, but not sure what newt or salamander i would even want. too many to choose from and too strict of laws in California, which sucks.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back