Hello from CA with some CA newt questions!

calpolybobby

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone, I'm new to owning newts and excited to learn all I can!

I recently received 4 california newts T. Torsa from a friend who was moving and couldn't keep the little guys any longer. They were all in great shape when I got them but now the runt "dolly" I think has fungus on her tail. I did some research on here and started salt bath treatments at 6g/L of water. The tank is a 20 long, water temp hovers around 68-70 being that I have no air-conditioning for the nest week or so. I dont currently have any test kits so I can't give anymore information as to ph or nitrates. The tank is set up with a reptofilter for 20gallons with a tree stump that breaks the water flow. Everything came with the tank from my friend, I plan on making changes within the next 2 weeks when I get to my permanent home. Change gravel to organic substrate and plant live plants.

Couple of questions that I have yet to find answered on here, hopefully someone can help!

1) I have done the salt baths 2 times a day for past 3 days and the scab with the fungus has fallen off. Is this normal? seems as if the skin now is raw again. Do I continue for longer than the recommended 2-3 days after it falls off?

2) Is the fungus contagious to the other newts in the tank? I currently have dolly in a separate tank but would like to know when or if I can re introduce her into the larger set up

3) The tank currently is fully aquatic being they are in breeding season. I would like to make the tank a semi aquatic tank like most care sheets recommend...when can I expect the little guys to start going on land more?

4) If I make the tank semi aquatic using a permanent divider, how long must I wait before using the tank again (with aquarium grade silicon)

Here is a picture of Dolly with the fungus, the large patch has now fallen off so that is a good thing I hope!

Sorry if these are played out questions, I have been trying to find answers but just really want the little guy to get better!

Attachments

• Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 182
1) I would continue the baths make sure you rinse after baths and keep him on clean moist paper towls in a plastic show box with plenty of vent holes about 4 sheets thick. Check on it daily to make sure it stays moist. Offer food daily

2) The fungus probably attached to a wound and is unlikely to grow on healthy animals. If you are still worried bleach everything and rinse well. I wouldn't though. Unless fungus is growing everywhere in the tank.

3) They will look for land after breeding season. Some floating cork for them to get out on now and rest isn't a bad idea.

4) 24 hours

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back