Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello from Colorado! Need help with cycling

Michelle303

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am new here. My name is Michelle and I am trying to cycle a 20 gal tank for an axolotl. I just posted this in axolotl group page and still need help with it. Please?

"Hi everyone, I am new to cycling. My boyfriend just cycled his 55 gal so he knows a little. But anyways I have been researching about axolotls and decided I really wanted one so I went out and bought a 20 gal tank. Water and tetra safe start has been in since 2/25/17. I have been putting in fish food about every other day for ammonia and recently put two feeder fish in. I have been testing everyday and my water has about 1.0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 20-40 nitrate. So I did some reading and people say to test the tap water so I did and everything comes out 0. My question is how did I jump to nitrates with no nitrites and hardly any ammonia? Should I do a water change? My temp is at 60 degrees. Should I make it warmer?"

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!