Hello from Downunder

J

jcj57

I live in sunny Queensland Australia - I use to have Axolotls over 10 years ago.

This week I decided it was time I had these little guys back in my life, so yesterday I purchased a tank which is partly set up now, just need to add some pebbles and rocks on the bottom and some plants, filters etc (hopefully tonight) otherwise its filled awaiting my babies. I purchased 1 brown speckily one and 1 yellow axolotl yesterday who are patiently waiting in a small tank on my kitchen bench.

The tank is 75cm x 38 cm x 38cm.

I am in my mid 50's my children have all left home (3) and I have 4 grandchildren. I work full time and have recently enrolled in a uni course externally on family, local & applied history. I'm setting up the tank in my study as a way to entice me to study more.

I've given them names, Howard and Bernadette (I'm a Big Bang fan - we have a possum who lives out the back patio we call Penny.

Looking forward to learning and sharing on this forum.

Julie

Hi Julie

Im in Brisbane. Can you please rethink about getting pebbles. Axie eat anything that they can fit into their mouths, they then have to pass it.
welcome to the forum anyways

It's okay, I'm not talking about little pebbles, I'm talking about medium to large river pebbles, (bigger than their head) I've had axolotls before so yeah know they swallow things they shouldn't. Also have a fine sand section.

Howard & Bernadette | Facebook

Attachments

• 313032_2540431077234_1447393885_32991112_644049121_n.jpg
    313032_2540431077234_1447393885_32991112_644049121_n.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 121
Cool bananas......I thought I would give you a heads up just in case you didnt know about the small pebbles/gravel. I just saw the photo. They are beautiful.

After looking at those pics of the axy having stones removed from its stomach I have removed some of the smaller size pebbles from my tank just to be on the safe side and added more sand :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back