Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello from Maryland

minorhero

Reaction score
Hiya folks!

I have been interested in newts since I was a kid and discovered some adult (what I now know as) Eastern Newts in a pond. That said, I have never kept newts/salamanders as an adult but I would like to do some research and ask some questions to see if its feasible for me.

My primary background is in freshwater planted aquariums. I was originally hoping to add a newt directly to some of my existing tanks but what research I have done so far tells me that I need to keep temperatures under 70 degrees. This is a bit of a problem with my existing tanks because they are both on the main level of my house and temperatures in the summer on that floor is pretty consistently in the mid to high 70s. This means that I need to either use a chiller or put the tank in my basement. Given the current situation in my house this basically means having another aquarium somewhere in my house which in turn means convincing The Wife that this is a good idea. This is not a trivial matter ;P

Anyway long way of saying I want to do the research and ask some questions but I might not be able to manage actually getting a salamander for some time to come.

While I haven't kept salamanders as an adult I do have some amphibians. I currently have one tank with two dart frogs in my basement and I am currently building a plywood 150 gallon vivarium to add a group of dart frogs to my living room. So I have some current experience keeping amphibians.

Herpin Man

Reaction score
Keeping your amphibians in the basement is far and away your best strategy here. As far as your wife is concerned- how often does she go down in the basement? I have found that the best way to go about adding enclosures is to just do it. The result, for me, has been that my wife no longer goes down in the basement (I have a fairly sizable herp collection) and no longer pays attention to what I have going on. I think that she doesn't really want to know. The various insect cultures I have going also incentivizes her to stay upstairs, I believe.
You may have success with a similar strategy. Disclaimer: I am not a marriage counselor, nor do I claim to have women figured out.

minorhero

Reaction score
Sadly the fait accompli method would not work for me. 3/4 of our basement is finished with only the laundry room area the unfinished section. We each spend a good bit of time down there after our kids go to sleep each night. If a 20 gallon suddenly appeared complete with stand, canister filter, chiller, or possibly a sump.. she would definitely notice ;P

That said, I think I can make this happen, its just going to take a bit. Each tank I've gotten has required different methods to secure. The wife is just adverse to water filled aquariums. Is there by any chance a terrestrial salamander that is bold and captive bred?

Herpin Man

Reaction score
Tiger salamanders are pretty bold, but rarely bred in captivity. You might look at fire salamanders, also.
Personally, I keep marbled newts terrestrially, at least outside of the breeding season. They are colorful, but are out more at night.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1