Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello from Nashville, TN!

bhollow

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm from Nashville, TN USA. I have not owned a salamander yet but I'm in the process of researching to get an axolotl. I like newts also and would be interesting in learning more about newts and salamanders to maybe get other ones in the future.. I'm also trying to get a small tank going for some orange neocaridinia shrimp and ramshorn snails. I'm new to the hobby though and trying to not bite off more than I can chew but might be too late already lol

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm from Nashville, TN USA. I have not owned a salamander yet but I'm in the process of researching to get an axolotl. I like newts also and would be interesting in learning more about newts and salamanders to maybe get other ones in the future.. I'm also trying to get a small tank going for some orange neocaridinia shrimp and ramshorn snails. I'm new to the hobby though and trying to not bite off more than I can chew but might be too late already lol
Welcome! I'm in Chattanooga. You're wise to do your research. I have some axolotl babies right now if you decide to go that way.

landonewts

Reaction score
I'm a long-time fan and keeper of newts and salamanders. My current newt is over 17 years old, and my last two lived to over 35 years old. But for me, even though I did my research ahead, the reality of axolotl care was an eye-opening experience.

I raised one axolotl from a baby, and then got a second one as soon as the first one was big enough to spot gender. I did love them very much - they are goofy, endearing and fascinating pets. And I was able to keep them healthy and well fed, and navigate some minor health problems (fungus outbreaks, mostly) successfully.

BUT. For me the tank maintenance was just too much. Newts and salamanders take a lot of care and maintenance too of course, but for me they're a better overall fit. I was able to find a really good home for my two axolotl boys, and I miss them, but I don't miss the constant stress of testing and water changes to make sure they had optimum conditions.

All that said, you may really enjoy having axolotls - the family that has my axies now is over the moon to have them - and this forum is a great place to get advice and information. Just sharing my experience.

bhollow

Reaction score
Welcome! I'm in Chattanooga. You're wise to do your research. I have some axolotl babies right now if you decide to go that way.
Thanks for the welcome! I appreciate the offer. I ended up getting one from a nearby breeder and she's been doing great. :)

bhollow

Reaction score
I'm a long-time fan and keeper of newts and salamanders. My current newt is over 17 years old, and my last two lived to over 35 years old. But for me, even though I did my research ahead, the reality of axolotl care was an eye-opening experience.

I raised one axolotl from a baby, and then got a second one as soon as the first one was big enough to spot gender. I did love them very much - they are goofy, endearing and fascinating pets. And I was able to keep them healthy and well fed, and navigate some minor health problems (fungus outbreaks, mostly) successfully.

BUT. For me the tank maintenance was just too much. Newts and salamanders take a lot of care and maintenance too of course, but for me they're a better overall fit. I was able to find a really good home for my two axolotl boys, and I miss them, but I don't miss the constant stress of testing and water changes to make sure they had optimum conditions.

All that said, you may really enjoy having axolotls - the family that has my axies now is over the moon to have them - and this forum is a great place to get advice and information. Just sharing my experience.
Yeah i'm still adjusting to the water changes and such but i think it's going really well so far! Thanks for sharing your experience. I am researching fire belly newts now since i'm interested in restarting my 10gal that had shrimp in it to be for fire belly newts instead now. how did you find it suit you better if you don't mind sharing? It seems really similar so far aside from the added land area.

kelly88

Reaction score
If you don't have enough time to look after your amphibians and aquariums because of your studies.Let me help you to cover your assignments, online lessons, quizzes, exams, and term papers! Please contact me here assignment writing service uk.
Hi, how are you doing? Already the happy owner of the salamander?
I'm a newbie too.
At this time I only have an aquarium with fishes )))) But I really want some salamanders
I try to study the topic as much as possible to be prepared before buying

Last edited:

bhollow

Reaction score
Hi, how are you doing? Already the happy owner of the salamander?
I'm a newbie too.
At this time I only have an aquarium with fishes )))) But I really want some salamanders
I try to study the topic as much as possible to be prepared before buying
thats good! i'm doing great just enjoying the hobby so far :) what kind of fish do you got? yes i have an axolotl for a couple months now shes about 7 inches long. so far i have one nano fish (scarlet badis) in a 10gal.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!