Hello from Virginia Beach, VA

MelissaT

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
MelissaT
Hello Everyone,
My name is Melissa and I currently live in VA. I accidentally came across a picture of an Axolotl about a year ago and fell head over heels in love! I have been doing lots of research on line about them on line and I really want to get one. I have everything I think i need to provide a happy and healthy home for an axolotl, all I have left to get is the axolotl itself. If there is anyone in the area that knows of a good place to get one please let me know. Also I am open to all the tips and information I can get so please feel free to unload on me.

Melissa

Hey Melissa. My name is Nathan. Easiest way is to buy your axolotls from a reputable breeder and have them shipped to you. You can buy eggs (not recommended for a beginner), babies (also not recommended for beginners), juveniles (pretty easy and adorable; only downside is you won't know the gender yet), sub-adults, and adults (easiest to care for, you CAN pick the gender, but they cost the most since the breeder has had to take care of them for at least 7 or 8 months). There are lots of good breeders, all over the U.S. I personally recommend Bette at "Aquarius Axolotls" on Facebook or Melloney at "A Lotta Axolotl" on Facebook. If you have any questions, let me/us (Caudata.org at large) know. You'll find varying opinions all over, but we can always tell you what we think and maybe provide you with a few tidbits that are actual fact. lol

Hello Nathan.
thank you for the information! I wish I would have seen this post a few days earlier. unfortunately i am still trying to figure this sight out. I got an axolotl on Monday and I hate to say but i don't think he's doing to well. I put a few post out today so hopefully someone will be able to help. I appreciate the response and am excited to be here and a new mommy to a little lottle

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back