Hello from West Virginia

MelanieK

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just wanted to stop in and say "Hello". I have been reading this message board for a little over 24 hours ( ok, not that whole 24 hours... :D )
Some 25 years ago I kept a large aquatic newt ( orange on top, lighter color underneath, pebbly skin and maybe 6 - 7 inches long - Ah ha! NOW I know what this one was: T. g. granulosa ! Would love to have another one. ) as a pet. Had it for 5 years and then had to sell it ( poor college student..)
Anyway, a few days ago I purchased a FBN and (s)he matches the description of a Japanese Fire Belly Newt found here: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/firebelly.shtml
It's eating well ( just tubifex worms now, I will try other appropriate foods later on ), very active in the water. Right now it's in a small 5 gallon aquarium, but I have just set up a more appropriate 10 gallon home for it. I just read the article on "cycling" and will have to re-read it and decide which method to use.
My 8 year old is thrilled with the newt and has named it Liz. Don't worry, we're not handling Liz, just admiring her....
So far this web site has been a wealth of information. The newt I had so many years ago was lucky to be so healthy, as I had no idea what I was doing.....

Last edited:
Welcome! Have fun with your newt. A 10 gallon would be great for Liz once the tanks cycled!:D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back