Hello - help with axolotl not eating

FLH62

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I joined this forum in the hope of getting some advice. Our 3 year old axolotl went off her food about a fortnight ago, sitting still in one place (not standing on her legs) for a couple of days and hiding away which is not normal behaviour for her. After measuring the water I upped the water changes to daily as there was a reading of 0.1 ammonia and nitrates seemed to be a bit high too.

After few days of not eating/responding I noticed a thread coming from her mouth This disappeared but a couple of days later a visible blob appeared - skin peeling or mould? I looked less fluffy than mould which she has occasionally had on her gills when temperatures are high.

She is now active and looking back to normal except her mouth is slightly open and she still isn't eating - neither worms nor pellets tempt her. In fact she jumped back when a wriggling worm touched her mouth. Might she be suffering with something inside her mout? - when she yawned it looked normal
We don't have anyone vet wise locally. I have introduced 2 pure aquarium spheres an a couple of Indian almond leaves to her 60litre tank.

I have a couple of photos - not great I'm afraid

Any advice would be much appreciated

Attachments

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I really don't know what to tell you- hopefully someone with axolotl experience will weigh in. If you have no local vet, you might end up having no choice but to wait and see.
But there are articles on health and illness, if you haven't found them, they are here:

Scroll down to "Health and Illness."

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/articles.shtml

Axie resources

Here are some other resources:

https://www.caudata.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=48

Axolotls: The Fascinating Mexican Axolotl and the Tiger Salamander

https://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Ambystoma/A_mexicanum.shtml

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • AlexisJG:
    As long as they don’t seem stressed that’s good and I mean hey if their well fed maybe they’ll live long happy lives together.
    +2
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    oh ya they are happy xD every time i come in to my room my Koy betta is like HI HI HI and actively swimming around
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Calgarycoppers has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Nerodia1:
    Děkuji za přijetí. Hledám tohoto obojživelníka, Typhlonectes compressicauda, nevíte, kde ho získat, nejlépe někde v Evropě.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Caudex has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    VEEK has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Lanalotl:
    My axie is acting woerd he was a rescue as stated in a different post he got better and now seems to be deteriorating again...again all tank conditions are OK and as should be. He seems to have some black dapple like pattern under his bottom lip? Is that normal? And his two back feet have a little wierd growth? Almost? Tiny tiny tiny lump. His capillaries in his feathers also appear darker and more visible. Any help would be appreciated
    +1
    Unlike
  • Lanalotl:
    Hes a leucistic axie
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    AmphibiGirl has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Dibgame:
    Hey guys. First time on this forum and im not sure what formatting i should use but hey here i go.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jadezoey:
    Hi! I'm being in a hard position where I have to re-home my axolotls. I'm moving out and I would like to find them a new home with someone who can take proper care of them
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jadezoey:
    I have an adult wild type and a juvenile leucistc
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • BigAl:
    Oops my bad accidentally sent that
    +1
    Unlike
  • Binditheaxolotl:
    @HalfDrunkToastLol
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieMomma87:
    is anyone online???
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Calgarycoppers has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Calgarycoppers has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieMomma87:
    Are you still here
    +1
    Unlike
  • ZayneSantos:
    Is there anyone on who can give me advice?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Max2445:
    @ZayneSantos, What advice do you need
    +1
    Unlike
  • KrabzAga:
    based on this video what type of salamander might this larva be? I suspect either eastern newt or spotted salamander
    +1
    Unlike
  • KrabzAga:
    help appreciated
    +1
    Unlike
  • KrabzAga:
    they are from missouri
    +1
    Unlike
    KrabzAga: they are from missouri +1