Hello

Dino

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's a delight to be back to Caudata after being away for a few years. I took my annual trek yesterday to observe spotted salamanders breeding and had a nice experience. I hope to send pictures and some questions that came up if I can find the time to post...

And 7 years later it’s again a delight to return to Caudata. Life happens. One constant has been my interest in the creatures studied and enjoyed here.
I’ve set up an outdoor habitat in my garden. it is three cascading pools in a shady spot, populated with several clutches of spotted salamander eggs and some incidental wood frog larva. I wonder whether local populations of either or both these species will establish. Perhaps such an effort is questionable on grounds other than its possibility.
I’m helped by this season’s cool and rainy weather while thicket foliage develops overhead. My approach to water and feeding has been to bring a lot of bottom material along with the water from the wild pool and replenish with that water or rain water.
Inside I’ve established a high visibility smallish aquarium on the same approach. It has a circulating pump which I’ve dialed back to a trickle. Today’s project is to add a water cooler using a heat exchanger installed into a dorm fridge. No more ice packs!
Feeding is a concern. The wood frog larva poop constantly, they seem to feed well enough on available detritus. The a. mac larva aren’t getting longer and the yolk sacks look depleted. My pet store options are presently the small shelf at Walmart where I see items mentioned in posts here. Dried brine shrimp?
I had hoped that sufficient food would come in with the wild pool bottom material. My best hopes were for established populations of food. I occasionally see small threadlike red worms wriggling about in the detritus. They look kind of yummy. Also, there are very small round items that buzz around through the water column like mini space ships. They are welcome at this point. I don’t know if they have value as food.
Any suggestions or comments would surely help. Thanks

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back