Hello!!!

Emerald23

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone! I'm new to Caudata and figured I would stop by and say a little about myself and ask a few questions! :)
So, I currently am in the process of preparing to bring a axolotl into my ever growing zoo of a home. I have 4 sugar gliders, a Sheltie, and a poodle mix. My gliders names are Clover, Tito, Penelope, and Luna :)
As for axolotls, I really want to get a melanoid and a harlequin, or some kind of Leucistic with those black dots on their heads. I think I've heard them called dirty lucy's before but I'm not sure :) Does anyone know anyone who sells the harlequin or dirty lucys? They seem to be the harder of the two to find! :lol:
I just bought a 50 gal tank so my dream of getting an axolotl is just one step closer! :)
For the tank, I have a few questions.
1. I have the option of making my own Canister filter or buying a modified hang on the back filter with mechanical, biological, and chemical media to filter. Which would be better?
2. For those of you with live plants, what lights are okay for both plants and axolotls? I plan on having an entire tank full of hides because I know their little eyes are sensitive, what with no eyelids and all. So really my question is, does anyone have a live planted tank or would it just be better to go artificial? I really wanted to do a live tank as an experiment of sorts to show an ecosystem for the kids in my family. I love to help educate them on weird animals, and what weirder than an axolotl? ;)
3. Ive heard of salt being used in a freshwater tank, and have heard some people say there HAS to be salt in it. What are the benefits of salt and is it nessecary for axolotls?
4. My friend is taking me to a Reptile Expo where she bought her axolotl from. Is it better to buy from that, in person, or is it better to buy from a breeder online? And for the colors I want?
Thanks everyone for stopping by!:p

Welcome to the forum! You might get more response in the Help section, and you can also find answers to most of your questions by searching. Good luck finding the colors you want! There are axolotls for sale frequently so keep an eye on the ad section too.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back