Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

HELP! AXOLOTL JUMPED OUT OF TANK!

Snowy_Mass

Reaction score
So this morning I had breakfast than I looked to see what toothless was up to. But I couldn't see him in the tank anywhere even moving stuff around in case he was hiding. I don't have a lid the one that came with the tank broke and I've been meaning to get a new mesh lid for evaporation cooling to still happen.

So I looked and found him wedged between my dresser and the heat diffuser in my room. By some miracle he was still alive but in pretty rough shape. Granted he was without water from 1-9 hours so any shape he's in is better than what I was expecting. I'm posting here first as I'm giving him a chance to breathe in his tank. It's Sunday so any of the ARAV vets that could see him are closed. Any words of wisdom so my boy can make it out alright?

EDIT: Sadly as of 9:14 this morning Toothless has passed away, the injuries from the fall and the stress from nearly-drying out were too great. Thank you for your suggestions. I hope toothless has gone to a better place.

Last edited:

JM29

Reaction score
Hi,
Sorry for this accident.

What could you do ?
1- let it in the tank so that it can recover quietly. Its skin and gills are probably affected and will look bad for several days.
2- build a new lid as soon as possible.
3- it has probably jumped because of something scaring it : noise or movements. Perhaps the place where the tank is placed is not good and a more quiet place would be better.

Snowy_Mass

Reaction score
Hi,
Sorry for this accident.

What could you do ?
1- let it in the tank so that it can recover quietly. Its skin and gills are probably affected and will look bad for several days.
2- build a new lid as soon as possible.
3- it has probably jumped because of something scaring it : noise or movements. Perhaps the place where the tank is placed is not good and a more quiet place would be better.
Thank you so much, I did all these things (except for moving the tank) but sadly Toothless has passed away. Seems like his injuries and the stress of nearly drying out were too great.

JM29

Reaction score
Hi,
Sorry to hear this.
As you already said, it was difficult to know if it laid on the floor for 1 hour or for 9.

Autistic Catholic

Reaction score
Toothless must have had a sweet personality. What a horrible way for him to have to die, poor guy...wedged next to a heater. Sorry that you lost him.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1