Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: HELP!!Axolotl upside down at the bottom of tank!

wolfen

Reaction score
I don't think he's dying but he does seem uncomfortable and short on gastroliths. The gravel substrate is going to be your best bet to help him out.
small pea gravel of mixed sizes are your best bet to use, don't use aquarium ornamental gravel as it is course and porous.
it needs to be mixed sized so the axolotl can choose which size it wants and is able to pass it.
it isn't guaranteed to work as your axolotl might choose not to swallow any, but it is probably the best chance to stop the floating issue.
just put a small pile in the container with your axolotl.

wolfen

Reaction score
So what kind of substrates

so what kind of substrates do you use?
I try to get as much of a natural environment as possible so I have a mix of aquarium soil, mixed sized pea gravel and sand.
I also have small snails and gammarus shrimp as a clean up crew.
mine are fed frozen bloodworm/krill/mysis/brine shrimp/chopped cockle/chopped mussel/chopped prawns with the occasional river shrimp and small fish.

Jaxolotl27

Reaction score
I have come to the conclusion that it is definitely a neurological problem and I’m going to have to have him humanely euthanized.. thank you all for everyone’s help!l though!

Autistic Catholic

Reaction score
I have come to the conclusion that it is definitely a neurological problem and I’m going to have to have him humanely euthanized.. thank you all for everyone’s help!l though!
Sorry to hear that. I know he was your favorite. You can use clove oil to sedate and then add a second dose to put down.

R.I.P. Archie.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!