Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

HELP! Bumps on axolotl's tail, can't find any info.

Gelato Energy

Reaction score
Thank you, you too. Just keep an eye on the bumps for now and let us know if they get better, worse, or stay the same. If you plan to purchase an axolotl in the future, I would probably recommend purchasing from somewhere else. Your little guy had quite a few nicks taken out of his tail. I'm sure there are some good sources on here for reliable breeders in the UK.
Yeah thank you mate, I've emailed them about it and they're just oblivious to anything I say

CrazyForLotls

Reaction score
Yeah thank you mate, I've emailed them about it and they're just oblivious to anything I say
That's never a good sign.. You're welcome. I'm happy to help. Let me know how things go and if you need anything else. Hopefully someone with more experience can help you out more. For now, I'd say just to make sure it's fed well, has no sharp decorations, and good water quality. If you can, please post some parameters if you get a test kit. You have the temperature at a perfect point. Best wishes and good luck! :)

Gelato Energy

Reaction score
That's never a good sign.. You're welcome. I'm happy to help. Let me know how things go and if you need anything else. Hopefully someone with more experience can help you out more. For now, I'd say just to make sure it's fed well, has no sharp decorations, and good water quality. If you can, please post some parameters if you get a test kit. You have the temperature at a perfect point. Best wishes and good luck! :)
What test kit do you use may I ask?

Gelato Energy

Reaction score
I use the API Master freshwater test kit. It's fairly common and most axie owners use it. I was recommended to purchase it and I'm glad I did. You should test your water about 2 times a week.
I use 3-4 of these per week, I'll have to get that master kit pretty soon

AMurry24537

Reaction score
The bumps are definitely not normal. If I were you, I'd try to get in contact with the seller and figure out when they showed up. Depending on the answer (and perhaps regardless of the answer) it may be a good idea to find an vet who can examine axolotls. They'll probably want to do a biopsy, is my guess, but I of course am not a vet, so can't say for sure.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1