Help! Done everything but Tiger still floating!

Audwar

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello!
My Tiger Salamander started floating over a week ago. I figured the water was not cool enough so I remembered a lot of people saying to put them in the fridge. I was actually shocked at first when I read that, but when I noticed that my Tiger was still floating I decided to put him back in the same plastic carrier I bought him in and lower the water but enough water that he was completely covered really well. He continued to float for about 6 days after I put him in the fridge and recently I noticed he was no longer floating and I also noticed he passed a very large Salamader poo :eek:. I figured he was just really needing to poop and that was his problem. So, I took him out of the fridge and let the water he was in go to room temp. and then early this morning when I was going to put him back into his 10 gallon tank he was floating again. I still put him back in his tank and so far he is still floating. Is this ok, or am I doing something wrong:mad:??? What should I do:confused:?? I have feed him cut up worms and crickets and he loves them. I also do a partial water change every day because my tank is not completely cycled yet, but almost.
If anyone can help I would really appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

I hope you are not talking about an adult tiger - they should be in a terrestrial set-up only with a substrate suitable for burrowing. An adult can drown in water. Here is a care sheet for tigers that addresses care for both larvae and adults: http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Ambystoma/A_tigrinum.shtml

For clarification, does your question concern larvae?

Jans right a terrestrial tanks the best but put out a bowl of water if it wants to soke its skin:D

chris:wacko:

No, it is definitely not an adult it is still a larvae! Sorry, I should of included that! It is actually doing better now. I hope it continues to keep doing well! I wonder what was the problem?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back