Help! Extremely bloated axolotl about to explode!

axolotl-lover-

Reaction score
Country
Canada
This is Luca the Axolotl, we have recently started to notice this in Luca and he had just kept getting bigger and bigger. I'm afraid he is about to die soon and we have been giving him salt baths recently. Luca is apparently missing 2 limbs. This started about 2 months ago. Is there any way to help him more and return him to normal size. He lives with another axolotl. I have attached some photos. He lives in a 30 gallon tank with his buddy.

Attachments

• IMG_20221206_153633.jpg
    IMG_20221206_153633.jpg
    600.2 KB · Views: 1,006
Last edited:
This is Luca the Axolotl, we have recently started to notice this in Luca and he had just kept getting bigger and bigger. I'm afraid he is about to die soon and we have been giving him salt baths recently. Luca is apparently missing 2 limbs. This started about 2 months ago. Is there any way to help him more and return him to normal size. He lives with another axolotl. I have attached some photos. He lives in a 30 gallon tank with his buddy.
at this point, it's either emergency vet or euthanasia. i don't think i've ever seen an axolotl survive a case of edema this extreme, and the prognosis is very poor. even with vet intervention, they will probably only be able to drain the fluid and provide antibiotics that may or may not help. it is likely to come back. personally, i recommend euthanasia- which i can offer advice on if that's the route you choose to take.

there are a couple of things that can be tried but I don't know how successful they will be if it is a case of organ failure.
1. ARS (amphibian ringers solution) this is like holtfreters solution but at a higher strength.
2. dextrose/glucose/sucrose, sugar will draw the fluid out of the body.
3. vitamin A, this is a necessary vitamin required by amphibians and may help with liver issues.
I have attached Amphibian Formulary, look under "Miscellaneous Agents Used in Amphibians"

Attachments

• Amphibians - Brent R. Whitaker.pdf
    579.3 KB · Views: 139
there are a couple of things that can be tried but I don't know how successful they will be if it is a case of organ failure.
1. ARS (amphibian ringers solution) this is like holtfreters solution but at a higher strength.
2. dextrose/glucose/sucrose, sugar will draw the fluid out of the body.
3. vitamin A, this is a necessary vitamin required by amphibians and may help with liver issues.
I have attached Amphibian Formulary, look under "Miscellaneous Agents Used in Amphibians"
glucose might work but how is it applied? i can't find any info on it which cant help.

under the information for ARS it says to add 10g per litre with ARS, and under dextrose it has 7.5 - 10% so 75g - 100g, although that seems a bit high so try the ARS with dextrose/glucose/sucrose first.

That animal needs a vet, or someform of bloat intervention. I have a chicken that had sour crop, it was dying because its crop was bloated and blocking its air way. I called several vets in my area, but no one delt with chickens/livestock. I had to intervien with a syringe to save its life. That was 2 years ago and that same chicken is still running around my yard.

problem is that chickens and axies have different treatments, i dont think a srynge will help suck out the fluids

is it possible to do it at home and if possibe, where is the srynge inserted.

is it possible to do it at home and if possibe, where is the srynge inserted.
It's possible but *only* do it if you can't get to the vet. Unfortunately, I do not know anything about axolotl anatomy to be able to give you advice on this issue and even still, unless the cause of the fluid retention is figured out, you still won't be able to fix the problem. Have you looked into any amphibian vets?

It's possible but *only* do it if you can't get to the vet. Unfortunately, I do not know anything about axolotl anatomy to be able to give you advice on this issue and even still, unless the cause of the fluid retention is figured out, you still won't be able to fix the problem. Have you looked into any amphibian vets?
Thanks for the suggestion! I will look into it. Poor luca has been refusing to eat, sadly if all fails, a clove oil bath and he will rest

Poor guy. :( Keep in mind that a clove oil bath will be two separate doses. One to anesthetize and the second to kill.

a vet will normally draw fluid out using a syringe, unfortunately because of the amount of fluid build up I don't think that even fluid removal will solve the issue.
looking at the video the edema is more than osmosis and is most likely organ failure,

based on the video alone, i think it's time to euthanize. he's suffering, but he had a good life. you did everything you could
I would have to agree. I believe he's too far gone past recovery. Either nature will run its course soon or euthanasia may need to be considered. You did what you could for little Luca.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back