Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help! I have a new axie, is it normal for it to have white stuff on its body?

Lynn claire

Reaction score
so i bought my axie a few days ago, its around 4.5 inches, but the next morning i saw these white stuff on its body, so i go on ahead to check the water and stuff. I'm not sure if its okay because i searched and some sites says that its completely normal but some also says that it may be a fungus infection. Can someone help telling me which is correct?
20210111_091726.jpg

EasternRomioi3

Reaction score
Oh my, I do not know what that is.

Did you cycle their tank ahead of time before putting them into the tank? Do you own any kits to test water quality. Without a fully cycled tank, you could very easily injure (or worse) your axolotl. The test kits are important to check water quality. If ammonia is too high, skin burns will occur. If nitrites are too high, it thins their blood too much or something, I don't quite understand what that one does but it is bad. And then there's nitrates, too many of them limits the axolotl's ability to breathe. It like, deprives them of oxygen, I think. I am not great with the scientific/medical stuff.

Have any other photos of your little guy? How about a photo of the whole tank too. Might see something. Although your little guy doesn't appear to be taking the defensive posture. If the water quality is terrible, they may throw their gills forward and act defensively, or they my try to flee by swimming around all crazy.

I don't know if I can help, I'm new to this too.

Lynn claire

Reaction score
Thank you so much! Also i checked the water parameters and it was totally fine, i have no idea whats happening but some people says that its just the pattern of the body but im not quite sure.

EasternRomioi3

Reaction score
Iridophores are natural, they like, are a pigment, a coloration. My axolotl has some on her one eye, when the light hits her one eye specifically, they reflect. They're more common in darker skinned axolotls. They're natural and fine.

And your tank is cycled? That's good! I think, and I am not sure, your axolotl will get more iridophores as they age, like "age spots." I am NOT SURE about that, I know they get spots and whatnot.

Lynn claire

Reaction score
D
Iridophores are natural, they like, are a pigment, a coloration. My axolotl has some on her one eye, when the light hits her one eye specifically, they reflect. They're more common in darker skinned axolotls. They're natural and fine.

And your tank is cycled? That's good! I think, and I am not sure, your axolotl will get more iridophores as they age, like "age spots." I am NOT SURE about that, I know they get spots and whatnot.
Does that mean its normal?

EasternRomioi3

Reaction score
Yes. If those spots are iridophores, then yes, they are natural and safe.

I would trust the advice of the member who says they're iridophores. I think your axolotl will be fine. How old is your little one? As they age, more spots will appear. Over the past 3 years with mine, she's gotten some black spots on her feet and legs.

Lynn claire

Reaction score
Yes. If those spots are iridophores, then yes, they are natural and safe.

I would trust the advice of the member who says they're iridophores. I think your axolotl will be fine. How old is your little one? As they age, more spots will appear. Over the past 3 years with mine, she's gotten some black spots on her feet and legs.
Oh mine is only a year old

EasternRomioi3

Reaction score
Yep, your little guy is young. Their color will change as they age, more spots, so forth. Keep an eye on them. Your axolotl is light colored so if they would ever have a chemical burn or a physical injury to their skin, you'd notice immediately.

AnimeDan

Reaction score
It’s common for aquatic creatures to be lighter on their belly. This is for camouflage for when the sun is shining through the water from the top to keep them better hidden from predators underneath looking up at them from the bottom.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1