Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help - I just found a larvae!

citypalus

Reaction score
I have a very small secondary tank that I keep some plants and shrimp in, but this morning I found a larvae! I have Eastern Newts in another tank, so the only thing I can think is I transferred a plant and an egg was in there or something. Or it was alive in the other tank and I transferred it? I have no idea.

It looks fairly developed, tiny but all his legs are there. How it grew and survived? Seems impossible.

if anyone has expertise... what should I do? I have attached a little video. I don't want it to die.

Any advice!

Attachments

• larvae.MOV
    35.5 MB · Views: 0

Herpin Man

Reaction score
I would remove the shrimp. You can feed the little newt daphnia, newly hatched brine shrimp, and chopped black worms.

citypalus

Reaction score
I would remove the shrimp. You can feed the little newt daphnia, newly hatched brine shrimp, and chopped black worms.
thanks for that, not sure i can get the shrimp out.
how could it have survived to grow legs? the only thing I have put in there are algae pellets. what else could it have eaten?
I am just perplexed

CWhit

Reaction score
It will have been eating all the microfauna in the tank. There's so much tiny life in there, it's been munching away. It will need bigger food now, as the poster above said daphnia & brine shrimp are great, or chopped up blackworm. Once you start feeding it it will grow quickly!

CWhit

Reaction score
It will have been eating all the microfauna in the tank. There's so much tiny life in there, it's been munching away. It will need bigger food now, as the poster above said daphnia & brine shrimp are great, or chopped up blackworm. Once you start feeding it it will grow quickly!
You might be able to try frozen bloodworm, daphnia etc as well

citypalus

Reaction score
You might be able to try frozen bloodworm, daphnia etc as well
thank you, i am trying with frozen rotifer and frozen daphnia.
i have also found there are two other larvae! such cuties
reading as much as i can about them, knowing well that expectations for survival are low. no idea how old they are now.

Attachments

• larvae4.jpg
    larvae4.jpg
    772.1 KB · Views: 129
  • larvae3.jpg
    larvae3.jpg
    752.5 KB · Views: 101
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1