Help! I saved a salamander from certain doom! and I need help identifiying it!

K

karolina

I have just joined this site and I need help, I have "rescued" a salamander from the evil little children down the street well they found a salamander and were throwing it! and handling it very roughly and it ended up on top there mom's car so I took the newt from the car top and brought it home while the little brats screamed there heads off wanting it back. It didn't move much at all but once I left in a small plastic container for about 2 hours it seemed healthy to me and I could not get a grip on it, happily I can say this salamander has no injuries. I unfortunately do not know what type of salamander it is! I have tried to find out but the library was closed to day and I can't go there until next weekend, so I was wondering if someone could help me identify it and/or give me some tips on taking care of it. I am keeping it in a plastic container with a lid with holds it's in a rectangle shape length of it is 18cm, width is 14 and height is 15cm, it bought it at a pet store to keep my hamster in while I clean his cage but now I have a hamster ball for that, I bought this in a pet store and it is suitable for frog/salamanders. I have some moist and folded paper towels on the floor of it and shredded moist paper towels in a corner and the top of a lid with water in it and a few of those oval jewels in fish tanks, my room is down stairs is my house and I am the only one down stairs and under my wood floor there is pure cement and my heater unfortunately doesn't work too well so I have adapted to sleeping in a very cold room and It's cold even in the summer! So I hope salamanders like cold rooms, well please look at this 'info sheet' of the salamander- (it has pictures, descriptions and measurements)
http://img17.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc73&image=593_lizzz_info_jpg.JPG

I could not use most of this site because my mom has like really harsh parental control for my brother because he's like 8 so I could not use some parts of this site please help me!
(I am really sorry this is so long) and my name Is Karolina you can call me Kai/dragon/orange those are my nick names if you want)

oh and I could not access the gender determining part of this site so I have no idea if this is a male or female can someone please help me with finding out what gender it is?

I'm 99.9% certain that's a long-toed salamander, Ambystoma macrodactylum. They are a common species where you live.

it's the only ambystoma that looks like that,. the only other salamander that i can think of that lives in your area with a similar colouration is plethodon idahoensis, but the head looks a lot like ambystoma so i don't think it's that.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back