Help I think my axolotl is dying

Sal_3304

Reaction score
Country
United States
I woke up this morning and thought he was dead but I've seen him move a little bit sense then. He was fine last night, he was eating, pooping and moving around. The temperature is fine and my water clean. I tried a salt bath because it looked like he might have some fungus but I can't really tell. He's now in new clean water but he still looks really bad. he’s barely moving, I haven’t seen his gills move at all and only time he moved was a little bit in the salt bath. I don't know what to do.

Last edited:
Have you tested your water parameters? What temperature is your water? And what symptoms is he exhibiting? Can you take a couple photos?

Have you tested your water parameters? What temperature is your water? And what symptoms is he exhibiting? Can you take a couple photos?
My water is currently at 66.2 degrees and I've been doing daily 100% water changes because I had to tub him because I had to restart the water cycle in his tank because the class thermometer in the tank broke (though I was able to get my axie out immediately so I don't think that was part of the problem).

He has some fungus in his gills and his skin looks a litter irritated which is probably because I had to handle him to get him from his tank to his tub so none of the bad water got in the tub. Mostly he's just not moving and not eating.

Attachments

• File_000 (1).jpeg
    File_000 (1).jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 199
The tank is just a little too warm but I don't think that's a major cause. He won't eat at all or move when harassed? That sounds like high nitrites. It makes them super lethargic.

How are things doing now? I see no one has commented on this in a bit.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back