Help, is my axie sick?!

wolfheart2112

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Morgan
Hey all, I noticed over the past week or so that Kirby has sort of ballooned. And when I say ballooned, I mean it's almost as if Kirby has swollen up... Her/his appetite has been normal, two bloodworm cubes every other day. He/she is in a 20gal with other tank mate Axel. I haven't seen any poop but I haven't looked under the hides I have in the tank so they may be under there. Kirby hasn't moved from the same spot in 2 days so I figured it was high time to post. I was worried it was impaction but since there is no gravel (I am 100% sure on that fact) or any snails and Kirby continues to eat fine I wasn't sure. The first picture is of Kirby about 2 weeks ago, the rest are Kirby now. Someone please help me, I love the little guy/gal to death!!
P.S, sorry for any blurry pictures

Attachments

• DSCF8875.jpg
    DSCF8875.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 3,605
  • DSCF9117.jpg
    DSCF9117.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 785
  • DSCF9120.jpg
    DSCF9120.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 498
  • DSCF9123.jpg
    DSCF9123.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 2,398
I have nothing to add but to say you have a really adorable axolotl. Kirby is super cute and that picture of him in his coconut made me smile.

I do have a question to ask others on top of yours, mine being of significantly less importance. I remember casually reading some time ago of a mutation in axolotls called short toe mutation. As I've never seen a picture, does Kirby exhibit this mutation?

I'm not quite too sure.. Kirby was deformed at birth and has a bent tail spine and has never grown any arms besides the stubs he/she has (which is why it is hard for me to sex Kirby and the true reasoning of the name kirby lmao) Kirby's toes were always like that from what I can tell so I'll have to do more research into the short toe mutation :p

I would say its short toe syndrome, though I have never seen one live so long. I had about 4with it and the longest one lived 3months.

It is characterized by limbs never fully developing, then the slow onset of bloating, or fluid retention. This is caused by kidney failure.

Since I have never seen one so big with it, i wonder if somebody would have more information about prognosis. Do you have a herp vet nearby? Maybe they would have i sight. Or maybe somebody here would have more insight. But the biggest characteristic I guess you can tell from when they are babies is that their limbs always stay shorter and stubbier and dont fully develop.

You made me a bit nervous though.
This is nike
ygabeza2.jpg
y3yqy7a6.jpg

His tail is almost cometely straightened out except for a few kinks now. I hope she doesnt develop this as well.

I hope yours doesn't as well!
The picture here is Kirby when I first got him/her. Kirby is now at a solid 6" and is around 10 months old about. How long does it say short toed axolotls live for? At first I thought that Kirby was gravid with eggs when I first saw the belly but now excitement has turned to despair if it is indeed short toed syndrome that Kirby has and I know his/her fate :(
You can see the black on the tips of whatever toes Kirby has left... Is there anything I can do to help him/her? And sadly, there is no herp vet around in my area (which is pretty sad considering..) :nono:

Attachments

• 20130513_182014[1].jpg
    20130513_182014[1].jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 397
I thought short-toe resulted in a much earlier demise, but if you've got him to 10 months you must be doing something right! The research papers I have read indicate they have raised some to a resonable size in order to study the long term implications of the disorder.
Unfortunately being a genetic mutation there's not much you can do other than keep him happy and comfortable for whatever time he has left.

And arm yourself with some clove oil in case he looks as if he's in distress.

It looked ok (apart from the stumpy legs) except for the front shot, the swollen throat is not typical of a gravid axoltol.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back