Help making sure tank is properly cycled!!

Pineapple1896

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello! I have been cycling my tank for over 2 weeks now with seachem stability. I got a brand new tank with a new filter and conditioned my water with seachem prime and have been adding stability for 7 days after, like the bottle says. Due to some circumstances, I will be getting my axolotl a lot faster than I intended...aka. tomorrow. I'm not sure what I am doing right and what I am doing wrong or when to know when my tank is finished cycling so that I can safely add my axolotl. I tested my water again today and these are the levels:

pH: 6.8 - 7

ammonia: 0 ppm

nitrate: 0 ppm

nitrite: 0 ppm

I would appreciate any advice. Thank you in advance!

Hello! I have been cycling my tank for over 2 weeks now with seachem stability. I got a brand new tank with a new filter and conditioned my water with seachem prime and have been adding stability for 7 days after, like the bottle says. Due to some circumstances, I will be getting my axolotl a lot faster than I intended...aka. tomorrow. I'm not sure what I am doing right and what I am doing wrong or when to know when my tank is finished cycling so that I can safely add my axolotl. I tested my water again today and these are the levels:

pH: 6.8 - 7

ammonia: 0 ppm

nitrate: 0 ppm

nitrite: 0 ppm

I would appreciate any advice. Thank you in advance!
Sorry no one has responded yet to you. Unfortunately, you wont know if your tank is properly cycled until waste (ammonia) is actually introduced into the tank and you can see if it is being broken down properly. So your next step really is after you introduce your axolotl, make sure to test your water every couple days to monitor your parameters and do your partial water changes accordingly. The presence of nitrates would indicate that you do have the nitrifying bacteria to break down that waste.

If you never had a source of ammonia, your tank likely won't be cycled. The bacteria you added are supposed to eat the ammonia and turn it into nitrites and then nitrates. But if there's no ammonia for them to eat, they'll die.

Since you didn't use any source of ammonia, you likely won't have many ammonia-eating bacteria.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back