Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help my axolotl is sick

TotallyNew2This

Reaction score
My axolotl has not been for 3 weeks now and he is decreasing in size. Another axolotl has bitten his leg the other day and it's now just hanging. I really need help as he does not look great at all.

KumquatSquats

Reaction score
if im reading correctly they were bitten and the limb is only partly severed? if thats the case you might have to remove the dead foot (ideally have a vet do this) before it can heal correctly. Axolotl healing is triggered by nerve damage, if the main nerve of that foot is still on the attached part it may be inhibiting healing. im not an expert however so please consult an exotic vet first before making that call.

did they stop taking food before or after the injury? with a messy injury like this one sounds like, infection is a worry.

TotallyNew2This

Reaction score
Before. It was bitten a few days ago, but hasn't eaten for 3 maybe 4 weeks. He's gone from being 20 cm to 8 cm. .

KumquatSquats

Reaction score
wow a month is a long time to refuse feedings,have you tried offering different foods yet? i know the medical page here has instructions on how to force feed an axolotl if it come to that but it can be pretty stressful for them.

Giuseppe

Reaction score
First step I'd seperate them from the axolotl who bit them as they may be refusing food due to stress. Try offering different foods. Are their other signs of illness? Fungus, impaction, infection ect?

Francisca

Reaction score
if thats the case you might have to remove the dead foot (ideally have a vet do this) before it can heal correctly. Axolotl healing is triggered by nerve damage, if the main nerve of that foot is still on the attached part it may be inhibiting healing.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1