Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

HELP!!! New axolotl! Hides all days, wounds, possibly fungus! HELP won’t eat

Alchemist_boy

Reaction score
So 3 days ago I finally made the purchase and got my first ever axolotl! I bought him... or her from an aquatic store. It was in a tank with 3 other much larger axolotl and I had chosen this one because they were clearly bullying them. My poor axie is missing a leg and is just now growing out another one that was previously missing. The first day I got it I fed it 3 full size earth worms to which they ate no problem! I read that young axies should be fed every day but I worry the first day I may have over fed them. He spends most of his day in his hide and only left it willingly for the first time today! I haven’t gotten them to eat since the first day except for a worm that went missing from the tank when I left my apt for a couple of hours. To be honest the tank was probably not 100% finished cycling when I introduced him but I have been doing daily 100% water changes with a dose of seachem prime. I minimized his filters flow as well as keeping the water at about a steady 65 to 67!
The water parameters tested low for nitrite and ammonia. I tried to entice him to eat with bloodworms because the store owner said that was his axies favorites but he has refused both cubes I have tried to give him. I noticed while I’ve had him he has this strange circular wound on his back leg that wasn’t missing and was wondering what it could be.
Could it be
A. Fungus?
B. A wound from prior bullying by other axies?
C. Natural spot?
D. Possible infection?
Why do you think he hides most the day and night and barley comes out? He sat on top of his hide for a moment earlier which sparked me with great joy because he has been very very shy to the point where it has been worrying me.
I have large stones as his bottom that I collected from outside and washed very very thoroughly.
I noticed when light comes in he goes in the hide and pushes the rocks in a circle and lays on the bare bottom in his little nest thing he created.
Do you think my anxiety has me over worrying? Is that wound suspicious? I really want to give him the best possible home I can provide. Did I over feed him the first day hence why he seems disinterested in food? Is he stressed to be in his new environment? Should I just leave him be until he feels safe and less stressed? Any help will be very very appreciated! This is my first fully aquatic pet and I have a lot of anxiety about his well being! He is truly so fascinating!!!
Pictures below of his leg wound.
Added pic of him chillin on the hide just because he looks adorable! :D
sorry about poor image quality I did my best and didn’t want to keep pestering him with my camera flash

Attachments

• 8D673266-7F6E-481A-ABB2-9D07C7384655.jpeg
    8D673266-7F6E-481A-ABB2-9D07C7384655.jpeg
    570.1 KB · Views: 302
  • 78B5F2BF-3CFB-454F-BE41-AD6B5774DFAA.jpeg
    78B5F2BF-3CFB-454F-BE41-AD6B5774DFAA.jpeg
    722.4 KB · Views: 87
  • 615E958F-CFAE-4398-ADEF-970B18822C14.jpeg
    615E958F-CFAE-4398-ADEF-970B18822C14.jpeg
    835.2 KB · Views: 95
  • B65C2A04-A48D-4DEF-A5B3-81659537275C.jpeg
    B65C2A04-A48D-4DEF-A5B3-81659537275C.jpeg
    770.6 KB · Views: 92
  • BD3B695E-3AD2-42CB-8E88-EF94F6FD8510.jpeg
    BD3B695E-3AD2-42CB-8E88-EF94F6FD8510.jpeg
    303.1 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

Alchemist_boy

Reaction score
Was doing 100% water change today and found both of the worms I tried to offer him to which he must have not eater :(

Murk

Reaction score
Hiya!

First things first:
"The water parameters tested low for nitrite and ammonia" - ideally, both should be 0. How low is "low"?

Second, I wouldn't recommend 100% water changes, certainly not daily. Especially if you're not sure if the cycle has finished this will harm the cycling process, and it will certainly stress the axolotl. Under normal circumstances it's just not necessary, even if the tank isn't fully cycled.
Do make sure not to leave uneaten food in the tank anymore. Did the axolotl spit them out? Or do you usually just put in worms and expect the axolotl to eat them? The latter is not very efficient and will lead to a lot of wasted food.

Third, most importantly: he's probably fine. The axolotl is in a new tank, lots of water changes, injured and healing: yes, he's going to be stressed and shy for a while.
As long as you offer enough food (it's very hard to overfeed an axolotl) and give him some time to relax, he'll be less stressed and less shy in a couple of days.

Alchemist_boy

Reaction score
Hey! Thank you so much for the reply!
When I tested the nitrite was 0 and the ammonia was at .2 ppm but I read that with seachem prime it will still show up! I quit doing full water changes and just add the recommended dose for seachem prime every day and a half or so! The first time I fed him as soon as I dropped the worm in front of him with forceps he ate them. The next couple of days he would eat them but instantly spit them out after. I dropped a worm in and left it in case he didn’t want me to watch him eat but he never ate it. I think you are right and I am over worrying haha. The store owner said that he would eat if he was hungry and to try tonight or tommorrow. He also said it’s normal for them to hide and be shy especially when being in a new environment. I’ll Just watch the ammonia and nitrite levels until the aquarium cycle is established and try and feed him tomorrow. Should I refrain from water changes for a week or so? Thank you for the reply it relieved my worries quite a bit!!!

Murk

Reaction score
Water changes really depend on tank size, cycle, amount/size of axolotls, etc.
In general, for a well-cycled and unplanted tank, 20% change every week should be plenty for one axolotl.

At this point, I would advise to just test your water parameters every week, and once you see an ammonia/nitrite/nitrate reading that is getting too high, to replace enough water to get it down again.
After a while, you'll find a schedule that'll work for your tank. Once you're confident in that, you can stop the water tests and just replace the water according to schedule.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1