Help please! Potentially ill salamander

Crimson

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My fire salamander has been having issues eating missing the food by aiming above where it is so tried to separate him from the other to try feed him on his own see if he would eat then or if his eyesight was going which is when I noticed he's walking funnily! He's falling to one side no obvious injuries although used tamodine on the leg that seems to be an issue just incase. With lockdown going on and my nearest vets for them being 50 miles away I need to know this is an essential trip before I go plus it's a weekend on top of that, so any advise or ideas on what could be causing this situation!?

I have a video showing how he is walking but unsure how to attach it to here if you need it to understand please let me know how to send it. Also he's coming up 3 years old if this makes any difference.

I tried checking previous threads one mentioned he may be too hot but surely this would affect his cage mate too also the temperature appears to be an the correct range.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

My fire salamander has been having issues eating missing the food by aiming above where it is so tried to separate him from the other to try feed him on his own see if he would eat then or if his eyesight was going which is when I noticed he's walking funnily! He's falling to one side no obvious injuries although used tamodine on the leg that seems to be an issue just incase. With lockdown going on and my nearest vets for them being 50 miles away I need to know this is an essential trip before I go plus it's a weekend on top of that, so any advise or ideas on what could be causing this situation!?

I have a video showing how he is walking but unsure how to attach it to here if you need it to understand please let me know how to send it. Also he's coming up 3 years old if this makes any difference.

I tried checking previous threads one mentioned he may be too hot but surely this would affect his cage mate too also the temperature appears to be an the correct range.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Sounds like a neurological problem. Take him to your local exotic vet. If you don’t need know where I one is, call the place you got him from me a see where they take their animals.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back