Illness/Sickness: Help Please!!

kna1106

Reaction score
Country
United States
I purchased my first Tiger Salamander, (Slime) three days ago. I bought him from a pet store that really doesn’t seem to be clean nor take very good care of their animals. I’ve never seen a salamander before and I just thought he was the cutest thing. He was in a really small tank; his moss but very dry and crunchy. He had no water to soak in and he was very dry looking. I felt so bad for the poor thing; I just had to save him.
He is now in a 10 gal tank, moist Eco earth bedding, moss bought from Petco, a good sized soaking dish (I use spring water?), a hide house and two live plants. I try and keep my room on the cooler side for him, and mist his tank daily.
I’m worried because when I first brought him home, he was so dry. I misted him with water and he seemed to really enjoy being cool and moist again (kinda came back to life). He is very slow, wobbly, and sort of seems weak? He ate 2 meal worms the first day I had him (He acted starved), Since then I’ve read meal worms aren’t the best for them, So he’s been eating crickets dusted with repto-cal. He is a little eating machine; I fed him 4 crickets yesterday, and 4 today. (He is kind of skinny). I plan on buying him worms this weekend.
He tries to climb the tank walls sometimes. He also does this thing in his water dish, where he kind of whips/jerks really fast to one side. Another thing he does all the time, He moves his back toes and legs a lot, like he wiggles his back legs and feet and grabs at the substrate? It’s kind of cute looking, but is it normal? Lastly, I’ve read they like to burrow. I think he tries to burrow, but cant? He kinda swings his head in the dirt slowly from side to side. It’s sad to watch kind of.
He has no bumps on him. No white marks. I think he is improving a little, he seems to have more energy then he first did but I’m still super worried because I really like this little guy. Help me please!:confused::(

Here are some pics. Not very good, but i dont want to stress him out by handling him if he is ill. But when I do handle him I use latex free gloves, so my hand oils/salts dont get to him, I also keep the gloves wet/damp.
101.jpg

104.jpg

097.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

Read over Caudata Culture Articles - Tiger Salamander 101, which covers the care of your salamander. It looks like you have already done some research. My only concern is your live plant, some are fine others are not. The behavior you are experiencing is normal for a tiger. Good to see it is eating and you are moving towards feeding worms.

Hey KNA,
Nice little barred you have there. Switch him over to worms (nightcrawlers cut in half) and he should put on some weight in no time.
I've seen the wiggling thing many times with my tigers, not sure what it is but its no cause for concern. The "chin-rubbing" I usually see around feeding time, I think they are just getting the debris off of their mouths ( they don't like food with dirt on it - snobs! ;] ) How deep is your substrate?

My tiger salamander, Bill, does like to burrow. Bill is probably underground more than he is at the surface. I have found that potted plants, sunk into the substrata an inch or so, do very well. My tank has mostly bromeliads.

I use the eco-earth as well, but mix it with regular topsoil (no fertilizer added) and Bill has no trouble burrowing. This picture is what he usually looks like, coming out of one of his holes.

04I76.jpg

04I76.jpg

It looks like you have a nice looking guy there. I got Bill when he was quite young, and had almost no yellow on him, but he is developing more color.

Nitrile gloves can be toxic to amphibians. Clean, bare hands are fine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back