Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

help PLS!! curved gill axie??!!

maddyb9903

Reaction score
Hello all! I’m searching for some help/advice on my axolotl. I just got him/her four days ago, I know they are normally a little stressed from the move so I could just be paranoid, but Im looking for help. The temp has stayed around 62/65 since I got it. As well as the water parameters have been fine according to my test strips. He has been sort’ve sluggish everyday except today, today he is exploring well. He’s eating fine and his tail is straight, but his gills look a little curved to me? Idk I could just be paranoid...but here’s the best pictures i could get of him.

Attachments

• 75F1E6B9-50D0-47B7-BD9C-58F7665E0250.jpeg
    75F1E6B9-50D0-47B7-BD9C-58F7665E0250.jpeg
    230.5 KB · Views: 874
  • 3FB163C9-B65F-4E05-944F-612DBC111530.jpeg
    3FB163C9-B65F-4E05-944F-612DBC111530.jpeg
    146.7 KB · Views: 110
  • D4629192-7592-4EAD-921C-0CE416AF2C64.jpeg
    D4629192-7592-4EAD-921C-0CE416AF2C64.jpeg
    174.3 KB · Views: 110
Reaction score
Hi! First of all, such a cute axie!! His gills look fine to me, maybe slightly curved but nothing that I wouldn’t expect from a new axie in my personal opinion
Just a couple things that I’m thinking
-I am not completely sure, but I would not trust test strips. They tend to be fairly inaccurate. I would get the API test kit, much more reliable. What were the specific numbers you got from the test strips?
-Do you have hides in the tank? They might be a little stressed if there’s no hides.
Overall I think that it is probably just stress from the new environment. I would just keep an eye on him/her but it is most likely fine. I understand the stress!!!

maddyb9903

Reaction score
Hi! First of all, such a cute axie!! His gills look fine to me, maybe slightly curved but nothing that I wouldn’t expect from a new axie in my personal opinion
Just a couple things that I’m thinking
-I am not completely sure, but I would not trust test strips. They tend to be fairly inaccurate. I would get the API test kit, much more reliable. What were the specific numbers you got from the test strips?
-Do you have hides in the tank? They might be a little stressed if there’s no hides.
Overall I think that it is probably just stress from the new environment. I would just keep an eye on him/her but it is most likely fine. I understand the stress!!!
Thank you!! I think he/she is so precious as well!
As far as the strips go, my last test read general hardness at a 0, my PH was around a 6.5 and nitrate and nitrite were both very close to 0 if not 0. I don’t have anything to test the ammonia.
I do have quite a big hide for him/her in the opposite corner of the tank, I also have two plants for it to hide behind, I keep the lights off in the room and the tank all the time except for when i’m in the room with him/her.
I really appreciate your opinion!

GulfCoastAxolotls

Reaction score
Thank you!! I think he/she is so precious as well!
As far as the strips go, my last test read general hardness at a 0, my PH was around a 6.5 and nitrate and nitrite were both very close to 0 if not 0. I don’t have anything to test the ammonia.
I do have quite a big hide for him/her in the opposite corner of the tank, I also have two plants for it to hide behind, I keep the lights off in the room and the tank all the time except for when i’m in the room with him/her.
I really appreciate your opinion!
Ammonia is the #1 thing you should be testing (should be tested twice weekly in a new tank). If you don't have a kit that tests that, get one asap. As others have said, test trips are inaccurate. Get a good liquid testing kit like the API freshwater master kit. It's easy to use and lasts a long time.

maddyb9903

Reaction score
Ammonia is the #1 thing you should be testing (should be tested twice weekly in a new tank). If you don't have a kit that tests that, get one asap. As others have said, test trips are inaccurate. Get a good liquid testing kit like the API freshwater master kit. It's easy to use and lasts a long time.
Thank you very much, i will be getting one asap

ArpTheAxolotl

Reaction score
Hello all! I’m searching for some help/advice on my axolotl. I just got him/her four days ago, I know they are normally a little stressed from the move so I could just be paranoid, but Im looking for help. The temp has stayed around 62/65 since I got it. As well as the water parameters have been fine according to my test strips. He has been sort’ve sluggish everyday except today, today he is exploring well. He’s eating fine and his tail is straight, but his gills look a little curved to me? Idk I could just be paranoid...but here’s the best pictures i could get of him.
Looks well, but I suggest the API freshwater test kit. I feel like the gills are normal, and maybe get some place for him to hide? They like hiding a lot!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!