Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: HELP! Tank won't cycle, I'm really frusterated

Reaction score
Its been almost five MONTHS. I'm using ACE janitorial ammonia, and nothing is happening. The only way I can get my parameters to go down is if I do a water change, but if I add more ammonia in my levels stay the exact same. I have no idea what to do; I even have plants and an axie hide so theres a lot of space for bacteria to grow on. I also have some black aquarium sand. I use Prime declorinator, and I do not have any lights in my tank, if that's relevant. There is no nitrate in my tap water, I've tested multiple times just to be sure.

My current parameters are:
Ammonia: 1.0ppm
Nitrite: 5.0ppm
Nitrate: 40-80ppm (the colors are too similar lol)

My Nitrite is always so much higher than my ammonia but neither will go down, I've tried doing water changes bc my Nitrite is so high, I've tried leaving it be to let it go away on it's own; NOTHING IS WORKING. Please help me, I'm at the end of my rope :(

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
If you're an aquarium hobbyist looking for a source of clear ammonia to fishless-cycle your new aquarium, this is it. No surfacants, soaps or other additives, just ammonium hydroxide in a water solution.One thing I'd advise is to be careful how much you add to your new tank - this stuff is STRONG. I would say to start off by using at most half of what your fishless cycle instructions recommend.For those who are reading this review and wonder what fishless cycling is, here's an article:Fishless Cycling - Article at The Age of Aquariums - Tropical Fish

This is what a quick search said. I think if you are having problems I wouldn't use it. Just try a little fish food to cycle the tank. What kind of filter are you using? What size tank? What animal do you plan to put in it.

I usually just do a quick cycle with the animal in the tank if it is not to huge of a bioload for the filter.

Reaction score
I was afraid to put an axie in it to cycle it bc I didn't want to kill it or hurt it. I have been using pure ammonia so far, less than a drop for the entire tank. Nothing is working, I REALLY need some advice. I just have an empty tank sitting on my dresser and I get so sad whenever I look at it. I really wathis to work out, should I just try a fish cycle, os this concentration too high for an axie? Should I do a water change before if I do a fish cycle?

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
For one axolotl in a 20 gallon tank. I would cycle the tank with the animal in it. Rinse your filter media and do a big water change first. After that I would feed lightly and do partial water changes every week until the tank cycles. The filter and water volume should pick up the bioload quickly.

I've had that style of filter in the past. It is o.k. but their are better ones on the market.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1