Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help with Axolotl!

jadejorji0709

Reaction score
I am a new owner and I had my axolotl in a tub on the coffee table under the fan with the lid barely cracked. Somehow he got the lid off and ended up taking a fall while I was sleeping. I noticed he started shedding his slime coat and was very curled up once I got him back in the water. I put him in the fridge because I thought it would help him heal faster but he is not doing much better. He has a very hard time moving and only one side of his gills is moving. I am also not sure when to take him out of the fridge. Any advice would be so appreciated!

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
Yes take out of the fridge - fridge is reserved for severe constipation (short time) and slowing infections until you get to a vet or while meds work.

Cold clean water changes twice a day with Prime treated water
Make indian almond leaf extract - crush up and boil 2 leaves - strain and cool the liquid and add to every water change should look like tea
you could try methylene blue baths to prevent infection

time and support is what you can do

baking drying racks on top of bins work awesome to prevent escapes but allow airflow

good luck - keep us posted

jadejorji0709

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the help! By the way, his name is Kid Frost, and he looks so much better now that he is out of the fridge and he even ate. I did make the Indian almond leaf extract and added some in the water. I was wondering is there such thing as putting too much of the solution in the water, and can I save it to use in water changes or must it be fresh every time?

MermaidMommy

Reaction score
I am a new owner and I had my axolotl in a tub on the coffee table under the fan with the lid barely cracked. Somehow he got the lid off and ended up taking a fall while I was sleeping. I noticed he started shedding his slime coat and was very curled up once I got him back in the water. I put him in the fridge because I thought it would help him heal faster but he is not doing much better. He has a very hard time moving and only one side of his gills is moving. I am also not sure when to take him out of the fridge. Any advice would be so appreciated!
So sorry that happened to Kid Frost, love the name by the way. I am sending positivity that he will make a full recovery.

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
I make and keep the extract in the fridge for about 4-5 days and use with every water change in that time - you can add too much depending how much water in in the tub. You want it to look like tea.

So glad hes already looking better!!!
And Awesome name lolol

Thank you so much for the help! By the way, his name is Kid Frost, and he looks so much better now that he is out of the fridge and he even ate. I did make the Indian almond leaf extract and added some in the water. I was wondering is there such thing as putting too much of the solution in the water, and can I save it to use in water changes or must it be fresh every time?

jadejorji0709

Reaction score
Hi! Thank you for asking! He is doing much better. The hairs on his gills aren't falling out anymore and look better. He also is eating everyday and seems to be happy. The only thing now is he is always swimming crazy around his tub and he also did this is the tank. I'm not sure if it's because he is just very active, doesn't like the size tub he's in, he wants to mate, or something more serious. Other than that he seems to be making a great recovery thanks to everyones help.

EasternRomioi3

Reaction score
Mine is a lazy little girl so she rarely actually swims, so I can't say for sure what the swimming around means. He doesn't crash into things, does he?

And I am very glad your little guy is doing better, please keep up posted!

jadejorji0709

Reaction score
Yes, he does crash into the side of the tub and tank sometimes and I would call it maybe frantic swimming. Sometimes he just seems restless but other times I get concerned because it's constant crazy swimming. But he is young and the previous owner said he was always trying to mate with her other male. I'll make sure to keep you posted! He's going back in the tank once I feel he's fully recovered.

EasternRomioi3

Reaction score
I am unsure about that behavior, my little 2 year old has been lazy who whole life, just likes to crawl around, hide, float up and say hello, then go back. I've only ever seen her swim at top speed maybe 4 times, generally when it comes to transferring her into other tanks. I hope one of the more knowledgeable and experienced axolotl parents can give you some input on that behavior! And yes, please keep us posted.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!