Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help with IDing my salamanders

auntiejude

Reaction score
I got 2 'tiger salamanders' a few weeks ago, they were both sold to me as A.tigrinum but I'm not sure they are exactly the same species or subspecies.

Can anyone suggest whether they are or not? I know there is some variation in patterns within a species, but I would like some other opinions:
Left: Izzy, female, orginally bought in Hamm 2 years ago
Right: Dug, probably male, again from Hamm this year, not quite fully grown (he doesn't like being clean).

Attachments

• Izzy pattern.jpg
    Izzy pattern.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 132
  • P1030203.jpg
    P1030203.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 458

sde

Reaction score
It is hard to tell with the male being covered in dirt. I am not too good with IDs on tiger sals, but I would say they are different species? Maybe someone more experienced will chime in.
Also, did you buy them from the same person? And did he say where they were collected?

auntiejude

Reaction score
These are both CB, both from German stock, I don't know if it the same breeder though.
Problem with Dug is he doesn't like being clean!

sde

Reaction score
These are both CB, both from German stock, I don't know if it the same breeder though.
Problem with Dug is he doesn't like being clean!

Good to hear they are CB, I just assumed they weren't since not very many captive breeding have occurred.
Dug, haha, that's a clever name.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
You could try contacting whoever you got them from and see if you can track any information about the parents...best scenario is that you get some general locality data.
The trouble with tiger salamanders is that intrapopulation variation is very large and two siblings could potentially look very different in terms of pattern. If you see images of wild tiger collections from (supossedly) a single site, you can see substantial pattern variation.

auntiejude

Reaction score
Its hard to tell, don't take my word for this but Dug might be A. mavourtium. Maybe.
Thats the thought I had, but I don't have much experience with salamanders.
Dug, haha, that's a clever name.
Yeah, we're not exactly inspiring with names, we have Dug (who likes to bury himself) and Izzy (who chases us round the room - taken from a kids' TV show tag line 'Izzy wizzy lets get busy!' )
You could try contacting whoever you got them from and see if you can track any information about the parents...best scenario is that you get some general locality data.
We're pretty sure Izzy is an Eastern Tiger (A. tigrinum), but all we could find out about Dug was that he's a tiger salamander of some sort - the place we got him from couldn't find the breeder details. All I know is he was bought at Hamm this year, CB from a breeder in Germany.

Boomsloth

Reaction score
How big is the cb breeding of tiger sals in Europe? Is it possible to mix and match tigers from different regions?

auntiejude

Reaction score
I know most tiger species can hybridise (they were once considered to be all the same species). There is a big(ish) breeding community in Europe centering around Germany where the big reptile and phib expos are held.

A. tigrinum has been bred successfully several times in Germany, A. mavortium too as they are allegedly easier to breed.

Boomsloth

Reaction score
Well that makes it difficult. I've been considering getting tiger sals myself but around here it's hard to find other than ordering 50+ from a bait shop.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
In the US John succeeded in producing a large batch of CB A.m.mavortium, and in Europe, as Antiejude said, there have been several breedings in several countries which have resulted in large numbers of CB animals being available.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1