Question: Help with my Newt please

Catfish

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, i am currently owning one rough skinned newt.
First of all, i have two questions, my Newt will only eat chopped up earthworms, he wont even eat crickets, what do your newts eat? Also I have noticed he is losing some weight and i know with fish you can put garlic on their food to get rid of any internal parasites, and i was wondering if i can also do that with my Newt.
Second, my Harrison is seeming to slow down, and i am wondering does this breed of Newt tend to hibernate? If so what do i do to prepare him for hibernating.
Any other tips about his breed are welcome, i am more familiar with Gecko's and reptiles and fish than Newts.
Thank you, :frog:
Cat

Attachments

• DSCN0555.jpg
    DSCN0555.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 243
Hello there!

I'm glad to see so many people getting into keeping taricha. These newts really aren't the species that I recommend to beginners, but since you have experience with keeping fish and reptiles, I'm sure you can handle the husbandry requirements! :) May I ask what kind of set up you currently have for your newt?

As far as food goes, crickets aren't usually the best thing to feed newts and salamanders as they can potentially bite and injure them. Earthworms are definitely a great source of food for all kinds of herps. I feed my T. grans chopped up earthworms currently. I'm not aware of using garlic to get rid of parasites. I study amphibian parasites and I've never known that to be a "cure".. But its a possibility! I have just never done that. How much have you been feeding him? His weight loss may just mean that he just needs to eat more.

What do you mean by "slow down?" In the wild, these newts hibernate when the temperatures get cold. However, in captivity, if temperatures remain constant, they shouldn't feel the need to hibernate. Do you know if your newt is captive bred or wild caught? If he is wild caught there's a chance that he is sensing that it's time to hibernate (which may also cause him to lose weight in some circumstances). I hope you find this information useful! :)

He is wild caught, right now he is eating chopped up earthworms but only about half a good sized worm every 3 days, i cant get him to eat more i am constantly giving him food but it just sits and if his food does not move he refuses it. Right now he is is moist dirt/coconut core mix with a large water dish as his old tank is in renovation, he usually has his tank 3/4 water with small islands. If i put his food in the water he wont eat it. i have had him for about half a year and he has not grown any, he is about 3in long at the moment. He is pretty social and he likes to sit on my shoulder when i clean fish tanks but i don't feel he is thriving.

I have never heard of using garlic for amphibious species but i have fed to young tadpoles and fish. Mostly to boost appetite as well as rid of parasites.

Hi Catfish,

At what temperature are you keeping the newt? Unlike tropical fish and most herps caudates prefer cool temperatures - my Taricha are currently being kept at about 58F. It is important for their health that you keep them below 67F or so.

Also, I would recommend minimal handling of your newt. While you may think it is enjoying being perched on your shoulder, this little guy would spend its time in the wild in a dark, covered, cool place and not out in the open in bright light on a moving person :) The oils in our hands can harm their delicate skin, and if you use fabric softener or anything that would leave a residue on your clothes, that, too, could cause health problems.

And continue to offer the earthworms, as they really are a great food source. It's not surprising that it only eats moving food so get yourself some tweezers or a toothpick that you can use to offer worms with every other day or so by slowly waving the worm in front of its face.

I have never heard of using garlic as an anti parasitic in newts so I can't comment on it (though I personally would not use it).

HJ

This is his old tank

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 197
thank you, i will not handle him then. its good to know about the fabric softener as well, i am personally allergic to most softeners so i dont use them and i wash my hands in fish safe ingredient as i have my hands in fish tanks a lot, he is about 63F right now and his water is about 59F or so, i have tried tweezers and he does not take it still, but i will keep offering earth worms and maybe pick up some black worms as he is still small. thank you for you help, is there anything else i should know about this breed?

Those temperatures seem fine.. Usually temps between 60-70 degrees F are good. It looks like he is still young so you could try black worms. Mine has always very timid and even though she is full grown, I had trouble getting her to eat anything other than black worms until recently. But from my experience, even the adults love them, but I prefer to feed earth worms. Sometimes it's hard to get them to take worms off of feeding tongs so what I do is leave some chopped worms in her food dish (which is in the water) and keep an eye on her for a while. She'll usually eat everything there, she just likes to take her time. It seems like a lot of these newts can be picky eaters so I would just have patience.

Thank you guys for you help he seems a lot happier, he ate almost a full half of a earthworm chopped up today alone, he is slowly gaining weight and I can no longer see his hip bones sticking out, he has been very active and very attentive on my every move. Thank you for you help!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 210
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back