Help with tank.

Luiz

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys,

I never cared for an axolotl before, so I could use your help. I have been doing a lot of reading and research about them, and this is my current tank. It's 20x18x20 and holds 27 gallons. I want to house two axolotls in it. All of the plants are real and I'm planing to add more, and some red spiderwood. I'm using substrate, I know its dangerous for them but I'm going to cover it with the river rocks. Is there anything else I should do; any comments, questions, or concerns about my tank? I want my axolotls to have the best life I can possibly give them. Also, if anyone knows of any juvenile axolotls for sell near Chattanooga, Tennessee PM me!

Thanks,
Luiz

P.S. Any advice on how to keep my water temp down? It is currently on the high side.

Attachments

• DSC00841.jpg
    DSC00841.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 155
  • DSC00844.jpg
    DSC00844.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 215
  • DSC00842.jpg
    DSC00842.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 337
  • DSC00843.jpg
    DSC00843.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 165
  • DSC00845.jpg
    DSC00845.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 140
Even though it holds 27 gallons, most of that is "tall" rather than bottom floor space, and because of that, I personally would only hold one axolotl in there.

Those rocks are of a size that is still dangerous - anything smaller than head size can be eaten. Best with sand or nothing. Larger rocks are hard to clean under & can foul the water quickly if hiding waste.

As mentioned above the floor size is the most important factor & the height although nice & they may swim a little isn't as essential as floor space is. Not sure there's be a lot of room for 2 adults in there.

It's beautiful but may need a bit of tweaking :)

<3 >o_o< <3

Awwww, that's disappointing. But thanks guys.

Ya it's a bit small. But it is a great setup. I would suggest plasttic uv light checkerboard to put over the gravel with mesh over that. Then you get substrate for the plants and gravle free fr the axolotls. You could put sand over the mesh to make it pretty again. I keep 2 or at max 3 in a 40 gallon breeder. That tank is quite beautiful though. I will be selling 2-3 inch gold and wildtypes and gfp of each in about a week or two. I will be shipping them.

Thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate it! I guess I have a lot of work to do haha. Anything else I should be aware of?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back