Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help with water parameters

Kiwimayu

Reaction score
I've typed this up a few times but had some sort of issue and deleted it each time, so hopefully I dont miss any details with this attempt.

I've been doing daily water changes on my axolotl's tank after I found out her ammonia level had spiked to 4ppm about a week ago. While I dont know the cause, as I thought I was pretty diligent about cleaning up after her, I went ahead and removed some floating plants I had that didn't seem to be working out. I've done at least a 20% water change every day, except the first day which was about a 40% change. I've made sure to clean her sand, I replaced some filter media with one that neutralizes ammonia, and I've been using API quick start and Aqueon Pure balls (about half a dose of quick start with every other water change, normal amount of Pure weekly). Finally, I got frustrated and tested everything today with the following results:

pH: 8.8
Ammonia: 0.25ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 40-80ppm (the colors honestly just look identical on the test kit, I can't tell which it is)

So I knew I had hard water, but I didnt realize the pH was THAT high. It's our drinking water, but it comes from a well. The readings overall just seem weird to me, am I doing something wrong? Should I be doing something to reduce the pH? I love my little nugget and don't want to hurt her, but I'm really just not sure on what to do other than continue to do water changes.

Also just attaching a picture of Grenadine as a thank you for helping, she's a cutie
20200528_111913.jpg

Last edited:

NC axy

Reaction score
Get some Prime by Seachem..problem solved..beat neutralizer on the business, beat price as well..don't let those per store associates tell you any differently.

NC axy

Reaction score
Sorry for the spelling..get some prime and take your foot off the gas..you're taking this way to to seriously...once I get the prime I'll tell you what to get next..the combo of prime and another seachem product is the cat's meow..just worry about water temperature and put the prime in and nothing else for now.

Kiwimayu

Reaction score
Sorry for the spelling..get some prime and take your foot off the gas..you're taking this way to to seriously...once I get the prime I'll tell you what to get next..the combo of prime and another seachem product is the cat's meow..just worry about water temperature and put the prime in and nothing else for now.

Hi, thanks!! I hadn't really thought about Prime, since my water isn't chlorinated, but I'll make sure to grab some! I also got a seachem ammonia alert, which is currently reading safe. Temps have been good and she's growing like a weed, so I'm a little less worried haha

NC axy

Reaction score
Prime is the answer to your issues...forget the minor details.. you're gonna drive yourself crazy. Best of luck 💪

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1