Helps identify my Japanese newts

idontthinkso

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Is it possible to say these are sasayame ?

Attachments

• IMG_7747 (Kopie).JPG
    IMG_7747 (Kopie).JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 463
  • IMG_7764 (Kopie).JPG
    IMG_7764 (Kopie).JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 407
  • IMG_8620 (Kopie).JPG
    IMG_8620 (Kopie).JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 389
  • IMG_8621 (Kopie).JPG
    IMG_8621 (Kopie).JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 411
  • IMG_8816 (Kopie).JPG
    IMG_8816 (Kopie).JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 378
  • IMG_8953 (Kopie).JPG
    IMG_8953 (Kopie).JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 417
I don't have much experience with Japanese newts, but to me they look like C. pyrrhogaster. -Seth

They do look like classic C. pyrrhogaster Sasayame race, but you can never know for sure unless you know what locality they came from.

Ok, than i won't put them together with the sasayame i have, to prevent 'hybrid' of different subspecies. I have them both in a 60cm tank now, they are Lucky ;)

I agree they look like typical sasayamae. Look out for the males courting and putting a hind leg over the females head during the process.

I think Jen's advice is best. Not having locality data it is always a good idea to not assume.

They do look like my C. p sasayama, although there were some identical looking newts for sale last year that were apparently collected on Kyushu so I agree with everyone else, you can never be 100% sure.

Sasayama is in Kyushu, but the color traits of C.sasayamae can occur in some populations of other species. Locality is critical for Cynops, given that species names and boundaries are not firmly established yet.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back