Heres my found Tiger

AllenJones

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
AllenJones
He's doing very fine now. Feeding isn't a problem anymore, he's no longer agressive towards the smaller one. I've named him Turd Furgason. Also, I've heard of poeple using some sort of coconut substrate with tigers, does this work well? Im looking for a less messy bedding for them.

Thanks,
Allen.

Attachments

• Picture 038.jpg
    Picture 038.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 143
  • Picture 037.jpg
    Picture 037.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 162
Also, I've heard of poeple using some sort of coconut substrate with tigers, does this work well? Im looking for a less messy bedding for them.

The substrate you are mentioning is known as cocofiber. From what I can see in the picture, you are already using it. You could try mixing it with organic topsoil to keep it from sticking as much.

The substrate in the pic is Eco Earth forrest bedding.

Last edited:
He's doing very fine now. Feeding isn't a problem anymore, he's no longer agressive towards the smaller one. I've named him Turd Furgason. Also, I've heard of poeple using some sort of coconut substrate with tigers, does this work well? Im looking for a less messy bedding for them.

Thanks,
Allen.
As Nathan said, the substance used is called cocofiber. It is sold under the brand names of Eco Earth and Bed-a-Beast. These are cocofiber bricks that have to be reconstituted with 3-4 liters of water. If you reconstituted bricks, you are using cocofiber. There are also products called forest bedding and forest floor, which are not cocofiber but wood barks. Many keepers of tigers use either the cocofiber, organic topsoil or a mix of both. For substrate, you need a substance that is moisture retentive, will not cause obstruction if ingested and assists in the breakdown of waste products. Pine and cedar bark/mulch should never be used because the oils in these are toxic to amphibs. What do you find 'messy' about the product you are using?

As Nathan said, the substance used is called cocofiber. It is sold under the brand names of Eco Earth and Bed-a-Beast. These are cocofiber bricks that have to be reconstituted with 3-4 liters of water. If you reconstituted bricks, you are using cocofiber. There are also products called forest bedding and forest floor, which are not cocofiber but wood barks. Many keepers of tigers use either the cocofiber, organic topsoil or a mix of both. For substrate, you need a substance that is moisture retentive, will not cause obstruction if ingested and assists in the breakdown of waste products. Pine and cedar bark/mulch should never be used because the oils in these are toxic to amphibs. What do you find 'messy' about the product you are using?

Well, the larger one burrows under it, which is fine and natural. But when he comes out he's all covered in it, as well as the smaller of my two. And its always just all over them and then gets all in their water dish. But i think what im going to do sence the subtrate seems to work so well is, loose the water dish and make a sort of, mini pond in the enclosure with a filter and such and see how that turns out.
Isn't he beautiful as well? Im so proud of my find.
Thanks for the feedback,
Allen.

Last edited:
You can mix the fiber with topsoil, and this will keep it from sticking so much.

Your pond idea is flawed. If the coco fiber gets in the water dish, what do you think it's going to do with a pond? It's going to get into it, and clog your filter. In addition to that, your tigers may drown.

You can mix the fiber with topsoil, and this will keep it from sticking so much.

Your pond idea is flawed. If the coco fiber gets in the water dish, what do you think it's going to do with a pond? It's going to get into it, and clog your filter. In addition to that, your tigers may drown.

Well, i was thinking of putting the filter under the screen i have between the bedding and hydro balls somehow. Im going to have to modify and do alot of creative work to pull this off, but I'll make it work, I have to much confidence to fail this one.

What's the point in the pond?

Kaysie is correct, if you looking for a low maintenance option that isnt it - cleaningand re filling the water dish you have is going to be alot easier than cleaning out a filter daily. IMO with the added risk of drowning definatley not worth it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back