Heres the updated tank shots

C

charlie

There was a redesign between this version (current) and the last lot of shots (will upload them one day)
But here's how it'll stay for a while.
I've got two of the tunnels now, one that splits from one into two holes, and the other from one into 3 holes. 3 pieces of driftwood (one extensively planted in the back left corner, one barely planted thats upright in the middle and one smaller unplanted pieces also in the middle creating a mini tunnel.) a number of plants around (still want more) including elodea (oxygen weed) which (despite thinking the worst of it) fills it all out alright and keeps it reasonably green. Plus it grows well. The (suspected) banana lily that I've been growing back from a bare stump has now been split into most of it in a pot, but a couple of separate bits replanted as well - one on the driftwood in the middle, and another front right by the tunnel.
HOB filter on back right, bubble bar on back left behind all the plants (heavier planting there to keep the axies where they're visible.) Food bowl front centre as well.
The light is barely ever in place on the tank, pretty much for photos only.

55223.jpg

55224.jpg

55225.jpg

And a couple of shots of the two of them sharing the 3 way tunnel (excuse the reflecitons)

55226.jpg

55227.jpg

Comments and suggestions welcome
happy.gif

Love your tank
happy.gif
Very Nice and green and those tunnels are great too! Am going to update my tank to sand soon and I definitely think I'll try and find a similar tunnel to go with the whole remodel... Your Axies are both lovely also, it almost looks like they are posing for you
happy.gif

yeah. they seem used to attention!
I got the tunnel from a little pet and garden store on flinders st, by taylor sq. only 20-30 dollars, which is a bargain to me!
If/when I get a bigger tank I'd like to have enough room and sand to have it under a pile of sand as a real tunnel through for them. A long time off though.

Do your plants survive ok without a light? What are they? I have elodea and banana lillies in my tank at the moment and they are all dying. They are sitting next to a window, so its a light position- just no artificial light.

Mine seem to go ok. Lily is slow growing, but it is growing. the elodea seems fine no matter what. Grows better with more light though. Be aware it seems to be a plant that will have its lower section die off (the part towards the roots) while the tips will just keep growing.

And thanks Rheann!

What a lovely tank, im very impressed! and your axies are just gorgeous 2!!
smile.gif

Charlie ur tank is looking excellent!
Its come along very nicely!!!

Good work! Your axies look great in there!
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Tanks looking really nice Charlie, lots better than the first pics i saw
happy.gif

it's addictive isn't it lol...

Wow! Beautiful!

What do you use for substrate, Charlie? I see sand there, but it looks like there's a dark/black layer underneath the sand...?

Charlie, can I make a suggestion? Take the plants out of the black pot things that they came in. Those will eventually kill the plant if I remember correctly. Just plant them into the substrate. I think really pet shops just sell them to make extra money on their products - They don't care if they rip off their costumers
sick.gif

That fiber-y stuff that the plants come in is what people use to root a lot of new cuttings to sell. It's not bad; but it does rot pretty quickly in a tank, which can kill the plants.

I usually plant in the substrate, but when I have kept the pots, I've pulled the plants of of the fiber-y stuff and filled the plastic basket with small gravel to keep it weighted down.
happy.gif

S1ren - the darker layer is just where the light doesn't get through. Substrate is just plain ol river sand.
The plant was saved after being eaten back to roots by yabbies/freshwater crayfish. once it started sprouting again I've split the plant 3 ways to separate it off for some other areas, but the one that was left was weak and limp, so I've kept it in the pot for now. Its got the filter wool and sand in there, when its twice the size it is now it'll come out of the pot
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back