Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hermaphrodite Fire Salamander

mike

Reaction score
ONLY KIDDING!
Having kept,and observed Fire salamanders in their natural surroundings for 40 odd years,I have always marvelled at how variable a species/sub species can be,from even remarkably close localities. (With the possible exception of Salamandra.s.s. and S.s.terrestris.)
Therefore,when a male S.s.gallaica died after 20 years in captivity,and I did`nt have a replacement adult from the same locality,I kept her singly,for 3 years,whilst growing on her future mate.
She has produced larvae for 3 years in succession. This is obviously due to her retaining sperm from a mating 4 years previously.
I have seen this also in S.algira.Has anyone had similar experiences?

J

jennifer

That is really amazing! I would be a little surprised by 1 year, but 4 years, wow.

S

sergé

This is a great observation. Did you see any change in viability of the larvae she produced? It is known they can retain sperm, but this is an incredible length.
It is a good explination how new populations can start with just one salamander (and therefor all animals look more or less like the mother)! It perfectly fits the idea that genetical variation within a population can be very low.
I don't think many people have the experience, because most people don't keep single animals for so long. But you should definately publish this somewhere!

greetings,
Sergé

mike

Reaction score
Hi Serge,

My records show that she produced 15 viable larvae the first year, numbers decreasing to 12 and 5 larvae in subsequent years.
I assume that any unfertilised ova were consumed by the remaining developing larvae.
I shall keep her singly until next spring, to see if she becomes gravid again!

Greetings.........Mike.

S

sergé

Hi Mike,

great! I know there is some literature on this so, you can put that together and write a short piece if you want (or we can do it together if you are not the writing type...;-).
But let's wait until spring and see then what happens.
She didn't put of unfertilised eggs (mine did the first years when they were becoming adults).

greetings, Sergé

mike

Reaction score
Hi Serge,

No, she didn`t produce any unfertilised eggs.
I would like to collaborate with you in publishing an article next year.

Best wishes, Mike.

S

sergé

Hi Mike,

we forgot this item a bit, but can we pick it up?
Is the remarkable women still alive, and did she reproduce?

Sergé

mike

Reaction score
Hi Serge'

Yes she is still alive, and very gravid.
happy.gif

She didn't produce any youngsters this spring, so I introduced her to her new partner, it seems that she will produce this autumn though.

TJ

Reaction score
That's a fantastic accomplishment, Mike -- both on your part and hers
biggrin.gif

mike

Reaction score
Thanks Tim, but I didn't personally have a lot to do with it.
blush.gif

It's odd though that she has switched seasons, she always produces in the spring, obviously couldn't wait.

E

edward

Did you rear the larva to a sexable size? The sperm retention is not necessarily the case (although it is a possibility) as a number of reptile species have given true "virgin" birth (all were live bearing species). In the snake equivalents the offspring were all males.

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1