Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Herping Gear Pack Load out

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes! And in fact it comes in handy for tracking in on calling toads and frogs. However, I will admit, it is more to keep me from calling out obscenities in the dark after collisions with trees and fences and the like. My particular favorite use so far is while in my canoe at night.
The problem with night vision is the lack of colour differentiation - I couldn't imagine trying to find a toad in a pond in a field in the middle of nowhere if I couldn't see the colours :/.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
The problem with night vision is the lack of colour differentiation - I couldn't imagine trying to find a toad in a pond in a field in the middle of nowhere if I couldn't see the colours :/.

I can understand this issue to an extent. I suspect I am a bit spoiled from all those months standing "mine watch" while underway in the Persian Gulf has spoiled me. :p

Many, many folks have trouble with the limited depth perception of night vison also. I find that these civilian active emission models work pretty well for animals, as the retina reflections stand out like a flare. With true passive emmision systems, something as simple as moonlight can really render them hard to use. While in the canoe, it makes navigating much easier on the eyes and provides a better field of view than a spotlight or head lamp.

Truth is, I really enjoy the reactions I get when I stumble across fisherman at night and they see a scawny looking fellow dragging around all sorts of strange gear, none of it for fishing.

By the way John, thanks for the headlamp suggestion, I picked one up and it is brilliant, literally. I find it usefull for night herping and boating, and excellent when crawling through a greasy set of machine guts at work.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Awesome! Glad you like it Johnny.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1