Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Herping in Calabria and Sicilia (Southern Italy)

wouter

Reaction score
I haven't posted here for a long time, so to "blow new life" in my account, I'll start with a short report of a herping trip me, my father and Mark Bakkers made in spring 2008. We travelled to southern Italy, more specifically we flew to Sicilia to observe some endemic herps, and then crossed the Messina strait to Calabria were we looked for two salamanders which had fascinated us for years.

First Sicilia and a bit of Calabria. Altough we went in late april, spring was already over in Sicilia, temperatures were high and the landscape was somewhat dissapointing. Lots of agricultural fields. We failed in finding individuals in a naturalised population of Xenopus laevis, but did find some other interesting herps at the first herping site ao Hierophis viridiflavus carbonarius, a whip snake species. A mountain close to Palermo (terrible traffic btw in Palermo) delivered Bufo siculus, a relative of the African (note, not of the much closer, Italian) Green Toads. Sadly Discoglossus pictus had left the water already.

After this we crossed to Calabria. We weren't planning on driving north, so no Triturus carnifex or the glacial relict Ichtyosaura alpestris inexpectatus. Our first findings were eggs of Rana italica in a cistern. After this we arrived in a beautiful climax forest with huge Fagus sylvatica and Abies alba; I've been in Bialowieza prime forest in Poland but I'm tempted to say that this Calabrian forest looked more impressive.

Attachments

• Bufo siculus 2.JPG
    Bufo siculus 2.JPG
    233.8 KB · Views: 797
  • Hierophis viridiflavus carbonarius.JPG
    Hierophis viridiflavus carbonarius.JPG
    276.6 KB · Views: 2,704
  • Rana italica eggs.JPG
    Rana italica eggs.JPG
    231.1 KB · Views: 1,068
  • DSCF7404.JPG
    DSCF7404.JPG
    277.2 KB · Views: 602

wouter

Reaction score
After this it was time for salamanders. We didn't have much trouble in finding beautiful southern Italian (the "real ones") Salamandra salamandra gigliolii. These are somewhat different in morphology than northern gigliolii, for instance with a really flat head, prominant dorsolateral points and a red throat. Lots of them were walking around during the day. Searches for the other salamander species proved to be in vain... We had a lot of fun though with just finding this species in the nice habitat. The almost yellow individual was a real treat.

Attachments

• Salamandra salamandra gigliolii 1.JPG
    Salamandra salamandra gigliolii 1.JPG
    237.7 KB · Views: 1,787
  • Salamandra salamandra gigliolii 2.JPG
    Salamandra salamandra gigliolii 2.JPG
    204.9 KB · Views: 703
  • Salamandra salamandra gigliolii 3.JPG
    Salamandra salamandra gigliolii 3.JPG
    201.1 KB · Views: 866
  • Salamandra salamandra gigliolii 4.JPG
    Salamandra salamandra gigliolii 4.JPG
    216.4 KB · Views: 10,746
  • Salamandra salamandra gigliolii 5.JPG
    Salamandra salamandra gigliolii 5.JPG
    232.4 KB · Views: 3,260

wouter

Reaction score
After this we drove south again to find the missing species; Salamandrina terdigitata. After a longer search than planned, we found a female and juvenile S. terdigitata in a southern Calabrian mountainrange. The female was found under a rock in a stream while depositing the first eggs. We searched several streams intensively already, so were very glad with this result. It seems that activity for this salamander had only just begon.
Finding the one female motivated us to take up sticks and browse through the leaflitter as shown on the pic below; this resulted in one 2-3 cm juvenile noticed by my father because of its red-white underside.

We sadly failed to find Lissotriton italicus, mainly because we spend a lot of time in the forest, but also because suitable habitat was hard to find while driving randomly around Calabria. Something for next time!

Attachments

• Salamandrina terdigitata 1.JPG
    Salamandrina terdigitata 1.JPG
    234 KB · Views: 813
  • Salamandrina terdigitata 2.JPG
    Salamandrina terdigitata 2.JPG
    254.5 KB · Views: 1,391
  • Salamandrina terdigitata 3.JPG
    Salamandrina terdigitata 3.JPG
    230.4 KB · Views: 2,139
  • Salamandrina terdigitata zoeken.JPG
    Salamandrina terdigitata zoeken.JPG
    251.8 KB · Views: 1,099

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Beautiful! Thanks for sharing your experiences and exquisite photographs. Welcome back.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I´ve fallen in love with that nearly completely yellow gigliolii O_O
Great photos, thank you for sharing, definitely a little paradise for herpers.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Wouter, it's good to see you. Thank you for your amazing photographs! You definitely have made me jealous!

benw

Reaction score
Wouter,

Really, impressive photos, loved the S s gigliolli!!

Looks like a fantastic herp trip, and thanks for sharing.

Ben

mantighoul

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for this herping account. I will have to remember this information when I head back to Calabria. I will be in a nice area to look for some Salamandra, :)

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Does anybody else see a clear similarity between Salamandrina and Tylototriton species...??? Ô_o

aramcheck

Reaction score
Those pictures are sumptuous!

I need to go back to the South of Europe soon, that black wipsnake reminded me of the many encounter I had with the yellow and black form in French hillside when I started herping as a kid...

Those snakes are really aggressive and stand their ground, I did come back home with bloodied finger a couple of time before I perfected my catching techniques!!!! :D

Mark B

Reaction score
Well I haven't been very active on caudata.org either so I guess I missed Wouter's post. Here some of my photo's. A bit overdue but well ;)

Attachments

• Salamandrina terdigitata belly shot.jpg
    Salamandrina terdigitata belly shot.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 1,109
  • Hierophis viridiflavus carbonarius.jpg
    Hierophis viridiflavus carbonarius.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 5,884
  • panorama4.jpg
    panorama4.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 445

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Well I haven't been very active on caudata.org either so I guess I missed Wouter's post. Here some of my photo's. A bit overdue but well ;)
Those are stunning, Mark. Thank you for taking the time to share them with us.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!