Herping in the heat!

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Justin
They finally opened up one of my favorite places to herp this past week so the wife and I decided to visit it, despite the fact that the temperature was going to be 30C (85F). We hit the woods expecting the day to be a snake day but boy were we in for a surprise.<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

The very first species of the day was this Plethodon richmondi.
richmondi.jpg

IMGP2838.jpg

Sonya flipped the rock beside where I found the previous salamander and turned up this Eurycea wilderea.<O:p</O:p
IMGP2558.jpg

I found this Pseudotriton ruber ruber in a spring.<O:p</O:p
IMGP2775.jpg

Found under the same rock as the ruber was a Gyrinophilus porphyriticus porphyriticus.<O:p</O:p
IMGP2782.jpg

<O:p

This is the spring I found them in.<O:p</O:p
IMGP2537.jpg

Also in that spring was this Desmognathus sp. I have no clue which one it is since it doesn't show much of a pattern. It didn't even have the eye stripe!<O:p</O:p
IMGP2823.jpg

This Desmognathus monticola was found alongisde the previous dusky.
IMGP2789.jpg

Found a couple variations of Plethodon cinereus. <O:p</O:p
pcinereus2.jpg

IMGP2812.jpg

pcinereus3.jpg

I accidentally ran over the one and only snake we saw that day while driving to our next spot.<O:p</O:p
Nerodia sipedon sipedon.
IMGP2496.jpg

</O:p
Rana sylvatica tadpoles.
IMGP2525.jpg

Desmognathus orestes were everywhere and in many variations.
IMGP2811.jpg

IMGP2794.jpg

Plethodon glutinosus
pglutinosus.jpg

Found a few Desmognathus ochrophaeus as well. They are very similar in appearance to D. orestes. The herringbone pattern down the middle is one way to tell them apart.<O:p</O:p
IMGP2564.jpg

<O:pDesmognathus habitat.
IMGP2530.jpg

</O:pNotophthalmus viridescens viridescens eft.
IMGP2577.jpg

Here is another unknown Desmognathus sp. This one was solid black except for the head.
dusky.jpg

Various Plethodon habitat.
IMGP2528.jpg
IMGP2533.jpg
</O:p>

IMGP2532.jpg
</O:p>

These Plethodon montanus were a target species.<O:p</O:p
montanus2.jpg
pmontanus1.jpg

The highlight of the trip and probably the whole year was this Plethodon yonahlossee.<O:p</O:p
pyonahlossee2.jpg
pyonahlossee3.jpg

Who says you can't catch salamanders in the heat?:D
<O:p</O:p<O:p</O:p<O:p</O:p<O:p</O:p

Last edited:
Beautiful! I am so jealous. The best I'd find where I live in heat like this is eastern newts, redbacks, and if I were lucky, perhaps a northern dusky or two. Thanks for sharing, I always enjoy your posts/pictures.

Nice pics Justin. Congratulations on seeing that yonahlossee!
Chip

Lucky dog!

Any desmos I find with a rounded tail go to D. orestes/ ochrophaeus.... We have a few creeks here with a good amount of melanistic individuals, they are a site for sure.

Pretty rare to find a tan P. cinereus too!

Great post Justin. I'm very jealous, particularly of that yonahlossee. That first photo of it looks like a calendar winner to me.

I live in West Central Florida and we supposedly have a few species around here.... but in 52 years I've never seen one. Color me envious. Thanks for the great post and photos.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back