Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hey guys

A

atilla

hahahai i thought fish couldnt swin untill sumone filled me in this web site:p..LOL
jkz

J

jolly

<font color="119911">Jacob, do you know that Mexican Walking Fish is another name for Axolotl?.
Atilla, what were you feeding your axie? It looked like fish of some kind.
p.s Naughty naughty, have you changed the gravel to sand or river stones?</font>

(Message edited by jolly_oskar on December 10, 2006)

J

jacob

yeah, I know people use that phrase to wrongly describe them, and that pet stores marketing them as so called "Mexican walking fish" also tell people that they like being petted and to come out and walk on the carpet! Which they like neither.

J

jolly

<font color="119911">Weird. I've never had a pet shop tell me they like to walk on carpet? Hmmm...
I don't think that name is a phrase. For some that name is easier to remember, especially for children. I used it as a child, and not once did I ever put one on the floor to watch it walk just because I called it a Mexican Walking Fish.
They can also be called Mexican Salamander and Mexican Axolotl. But why don't we just call them by their scientific name; Ambystoma mexicanum.
So, Atilla, you have some very cute Ambystoma mexicanum.</font>

M

malachy

Nice. I always talk about mine as Ambystoma mexicanum or Axolotl. But people look at me with a what on earth are you talking about look, and so i call them Mexican walking fish.Its funny to watch the look of comprehension dawn...lol

A

annmarie

I have never heard of the phrase "Mexican Walking Fish" arround here. Usualy when people have no idea what an axolotl is I tell them they are like a mudpuppy or like a permanant baby tiger salamander. If you said something like Mexican Walking fish arround here people might think its some sort of cocktail or a racist term.

Maybe Mexican Walking fish is an Australian thing. I dont like that name, kinda like how I used to get peeved when I was 7 when people refered to Bottlenosed dolphins as porpoises or Flippers.

S

sherri

I call them axolotls myself, or axies for short. But for people who don't know about them, I usually explain they are kind of water salamanders... That usually clears it
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1