Hi everybody

JungleJane

Reaction score
Country
United States
My daughter wants to have an axolotl; after I saw pictures I understood why. There is only one available space for a tank (with a power source) left in my house, and I can't think of any creature we're capable of caring for that is more interesting! My daughter, a bio.major, is at university for part of the week, so my hubby and I help her care for five tanks of assorted fish, a goldfish pond (water trough), butter-corn snake, and we have six little tanks with beta fish, apple and nerite snails, and one beloved ADF, and a dog and cat. My daughter keeps a common newt and beta at school with her. She's hoping to acquire an axolotl in January at a reptile/amphibian expo! Can't wait, but meanwhile I'll be busy...;)

Hello JungleJane and welcome to the forum. That is quite a collection you have there!

In thinking about an axolotl, have a look at these articles from our Caudata Culture section, loaded with great information regarding caring for axolotls: Caudata Culture Axolotl Articles

Hi Jan, thanks for the welcome! My daughter and I have been reading the links you provided; in fact the Axolotl site brought us here. The divided tanks are particularly interesting, as my daughter would like to see if her newt and axolotl might be housed in one at school, at least while the axolotl is young. I want him to stay home, and she's home twice a week to work at our local fish/exotic pet store (privately owned one) anyway, so hopefully I'll get my way. So far we have a 10g. with a screened top, and now I'm checking out fans; the water temp. in my existing unheated tanks are 70*, so that's a must. Any advice is welcome!
Thanks, Jane

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back