Hi from Florida!

lissamphibia

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Sarah McManus
I'm studying ecology at New College of Florida in Sarasota, and I just got my first grant for a preliminary mark-recapture study of the greater siren, Siren lacertina, in a nearby state park. (The park's reptile and amphibian records are mostly based on a report from 1941!)

I'm interested in all kinds of reptiles and amphibians, especially aquatic salamanders and caecilians. Though I wish I didn't have to leave my Typhlonectes natans and 2 Bufo variegatus with my parents, it's great to be on a campus crawling with treefrogs and anoles, even if they are both nonnative. The coolest thing I've done with salamanders recently was snorkeling for hellbenders in the Oconaluftee River, where I caught a larval hellbender in a snorkel mask.

Hey there. I'm from Florida too. I was wondering if you know of any breeders or pet stores that sell Chinese Firebellies? I bought one two years ago from Underground Reptiles, but I'd like to get another one and I can't seem to find any.

I'm not very familiar with Florida breeders/pet stores yet, since I've only been here a few months (I'm originally from North Carolina). And unfortunately, we're not allowed to have pets in the dorms besides fish.

Welcome to the forum. With regards to what you`re allowed to keep in your dorm, I suggest you give them the old `fish with legs` explanation ;).

We've pulled the 'fish with legs' up here at Michigan State!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back