Question: Hi im new

katdust

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi im new and this is my first axlotle that i have ever had i have had her(well i think its a girl) for about 6 or 7 months. so my questions are does she look healthy? what could i add to her tank to make it look less bland? is she a girl??

Attachments

• 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 139
Welcome to Caudata!

To determine sex we would need a better shot and closer, preferably birds-eye view. Tanks are good fun to decorate! I can't see how big your tank is but having more than one hide is good, I like the natural look better using driftwoods and large smooth aqua rocks, but each to their own. Adding plants also instantly picks up a gloomy tank and my ones love sitting in them, again I prefer natural as I don't trust some artificial ones they can leak out dyes or cut them. I can't see from the photo but bare bottom or fine sand as a floor covering is good, hope there's no gravel there.

I also added a bubble curtain that they love playing in and hitching rides to the surface, as well as a low led light (as long as there's plenty of hides it'll be fine). The light makes my tank look pretty, I feel it's very bland without it.

Get down to your LFS or pet store and knock yourself out with plants - plastic or real - ornaments, tunnels or hides!

Can't see what sex it is from that pic, but you're looking for a bump just behind it's back legs - small bump = girl, large bump = boy. Check out the dozens of thread about gender for pics for comparison.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back