hi, might be getting a free larval tiger

antcatcher11

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Joey
Hi, I am new here and have found somebody found a changing tadpole with external gills. The person knew it wasn't a tadpole but couldn't keep it. He offered it to me and I think it is a mud puppy or larval tiger. I have a few questions.

1. Are they illegal to own in Massachusetts?
2. What diet is best for them?
3. How big does the larval tank have to be?
4. How big does the adult tank have to be?
5. Can I use a bare bottom tank with hiding spots in it so I can remove setting gunk with a turkey baster?
6. Do I need a heater if I put it in my basement?

I already have a 10 gallon tank and air pump ready and can quickly get my other supplies at a pet co 45 seconds away. Thankyou for any help!

It's hard to answer these questions, as mudpuppies (Necturus genus) and tiger salamanders (Ambystoma genus) are two pretty different critters.

For one, mudpuppies don't transform. They're neotenic, and will keep their gills for their entire life.

1.) I have no idea on either species. I'm hoping someone can answer this for you.

2.) The best diet for both species is a varied diet. Earthworms make a great staple for both species, with crickets, waxworms, soft-bodied insects, and occasional minnows for mudpuppies, but not tiger salamander adults.

3.) A larval tiger can usually do well in a 10 gallon tank, but as it morphs, you will have to supply it with adequate land area. A mudpuppy doesn't really have a larval stage.

4.) An adult tiger, which is completely terrestrial, will do fine in a 10 gallon tank, but a 20 gallon long will give you more control over humidity and hiding spots. A mudpuppy will probably need a 30+ gallon tank, completely aquatic.

5.) Yes, bare bottom is fine, as long as you have lots of hiding spots. Turkey basters are a herp keeper's best friend.

6.) No. Both species do best when kept as cool as possible.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back