Hi new herpophiles

Red Eft

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone. My name is Sarah and I love salamanders and newts! I have 4 rough skinned newts that Ive had since they were eggs/just hatchlings, about 2-3 years ago. I also just got an adult female axolotl. Some of my favorites include red efts and pacific giant salamanders. I am studying Wildlife Conservation Biology with an emphasis on herps and a minor in Natural Resources. I am also interested in arboreal salamanders. I live in Northern California.

I share your interest. I have rough-skinned newts and arboreal sals, both raised from captive-bred eggs/juvs. I would love to see a Pacific giant in the wild some day. FYI: you do realize that it's illegal to keep an axolotl in California?

I did not realize it was illegal. I got her from the University. Wonder of that makes a difference somehow.

They sell axolotls and tiger salamanders at the local pet shop, wonder if they know it's illegal, not that they'd probably care. I don't personally purchase animals from stores, all mine were given to me/rescued. I'm not going to release them into the wild or anything like that. I know axolotls are endangered in the wild (habitat loss) but are commonly found in research settings and as pets. Interesting.

They are banned because captive Ambystoma pose a threat of interbreeding with the endangered Cali tiger sal. Sadly, there are people who do release pets into the wild, so thus the ban.

I don't know when those laws were passed, but the first axolotl i ever saw was and albino on a very responsible (as far as care) exotic reptile/fish shop in the san Fernando Valley. This was back in '95 or so though...hee I'm gettin' old!

I walked by and had to do a tripple take at the oddity in the tank. Someday, if luck is my friend I'd like to have one. but as with a lot of other people, I don't really beleive in pet stores. rescue is so much better.

'Nighers! = )

~rachel

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back