Hi.

Jake

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Jacob Bidinger
I live in a small town north of Chicago. I've had an obsession with amphibians since I was 4 or 5 years old.

I spend hours every day keeping up with all of my salamanders.

My colony of A.mexicanum (axolotl) has grown quite large over the past three years. I have somewhere around 300 of them currently, but I only keep 76 of them as my "permanent residents".

I also keep and breed: Triturus marmoratus, Pleurodeles waltl, Xenopus leavis (African clawed frogs...sometimes), Cynops pyrrhogaster (several subspecies).

I am attempting to start breeding colonies of Mesotriton alpestris apuanus, Triturus cristatus, Neurergus strauchii, and Triturus dobrogicus.

THAT is a lot of axolotls. Glad to have you on board.

Wow! That's a lot of axolotls! I hope to see you and all the information you must have around the forum. :happy:

are you going to sell any of your axies?

ps. i'd love to see some pics

~~~axolotlover~~~

Hi Jake!

Goodluck with those Strauchii and Mesotriton alpestris apuanus. When I used to live in Italy, i would see these in the local fish stores, and were treated better than any newt in a petstore in the USA I have ever come across. Beautiful creatures. I will probably be talking to you about axolotl in the near future possibly. How is your baby with the strange eye doing?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back