Hibernate red bellied toads

yiorgos

Reaction score
Country
Greece
Hello everybody
i would like to ask if somebody could tell me how to hibernate my toads ?
i have an outside setup and till now i keep them in 1/3 land / water.
in greece now the temprature is about 18 c.

Pugnator

Reaction score
Country
Italy
thanks for your msg
i have orientalis and variegata..

Hold bombina variegata is not legal on my country so I cannot help about that because I know very little. Regarding bombina orientalis is too hot 18C, you should gradually lower the temperature to go on 5-6 C but you have to lower it gradually, during such period you should overfeed them but not too much. for gradually I mean you should use a month to reach those temperature. And obviously they should have some moss and some substrate to dig and go under that. They usually remain on brumation for 3 months. After those 3 months you should raise the temperature about 1C at day until they reach 21/22 C. After those you should sightly overfeed them and spray water much more frequently then before until they successfully have the intercourse and lay the egg.

natterjack

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I can see the value of brumation for the two European species, but is it really necessary for orientalis? Many people appear to keep them at room temperature year round and do no more than feed extra and do a cold water change or provide a rain chamber to condition them for breeding

Last edited:

Pugnator

Reaction score
Country
Italy
I can see the value of brumation for the two European species, but is it really necessary for orientalis? Many people appear to keep them at room temperature year round and do no more than feed extra and do a cold water change or provide a rain chamber to condition them for breeding

It isn't necessary, bombina live perfectly without it and as long as one who did it. But if they don't do brumation they rarely breed. It is useful to stimulate their "desire".

yiorgos

Reaction score
Country
Greece
my fire bellies toads are all the time in breeding mood but no eggs are released........
i am really well feed them and i am doing the properly water changes....
the tem is 18 c ...
i am waiting and waiting

natterjack

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
my fire bellies toads are all the time in breeding mood but no eggs are released........
i am really well feed them and i am doing the properly water changes....
the tem is 18 c ...
i am waiting and waiting
My pair were like this recently. I put them in a bucket with about an inch of water and some floating weed. After a few days they still hadn't spawned so i added more cool water to simulate fresh rain. After about nine days of amplexus i changed almost all of the water and when it had reached about 21 to 22c they spawned during the night
...about 70 eggs. Most tadpoles have hatched now and are doing well. Try a big water change, then warm them up a few degrees...good luck!

yiorgos

Reaction score
Country
Greece
thank you very much for your reply......i wish you to enjoy your tadpols nurture !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i hope to be at the same situation with you very very soon....
and please give me tips how to care for tadpols and froglets....thanks again.

natterjack

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
thank you very much for your reply......i wish you to enjoy your tadpols nurture !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i hope to be at the same situation with you very very soon....
and please give me tips how to care for tadpols and froglets....thanks again.
The tadpoles are getting some algae wafer and a colour enhancing tropical fish food. I plan to try sinking cat fish pellets too when they are older and needing more protein. The water temp is at 22 to 23c and they are doing well. I am going to culture whiteworms now to have some ready for the froglets, but will also feed them tiny crickets fed on the colour rich flake and will probably try it crushed and dusted over some cut up earthworms for them too. This is the first time i've bred Bombina, so i will let you know how things go...

natterjack

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Keep your B. orientalis and B. variegata seperated when breeding though as they can hybridize and this is not desirable

yiorgos

Reaction score
Country
Greece
thank you really much for your informations i need them couse here in greece no many care about amphibians...
of course i seperate my frogs i dont like crossbreed
how you keep the eggs and tadpoles?
do you use filter ???
you took the eggs out of the parents in a special dedicated place ?
did you change the water ?
how often do the frogs spawn ?

soory for all theese questions .

natterjack

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
The parents were removed a day after they stopped spawning and were returned to their own tank. The spawn hatched in the bucket about four days after it was laid. Two days later the tadpoles were put in a 60cm aquarium with water about two inches deep, at about 22/23c. About 50 tadpoles hatched and all have survived so far. A little fresh water at the same temperature is added everyday. The tadpoles are feeding well on algae and a fish flake for enhancing the colour red. They grow rapidly and are swimming strongly now, so i have added a sponge filter run off a small air pump. This won't cause too much turbulence in the water to disturb them and won't suck them in like a canister filter could. As they get bigger i will do more regular water changes.
The adults can spawn several times a year if conditions are right. My female was still fairly plump with eggs even after spawning, and is even bigger now, so she may spawn again in a few weeks.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Also, she was fine at the higher temperature. Perfectly healthy and never showed signs of de stress. Just thought it being colder would make her happier and digest a little slower! (She’s a pig :p )
    +1
    Unlike
  • SubZero:
    is it normal for a tiger to jump at you from being the glass
    +1
    Unlike
  • Murk:
    @Paige1warren That should be fine. I wouldn't suddenly put her in very cold water without acclimatisation, but a few degrees over the course of two hours shouldn't be a problem at all.
    +1
    Unlike
  • AlexisJG:
    Is anyone online? I need help badly
    +1
    Unlike
  • AlexisJG:
    I have had my 2 axolotls since June 2020 and I had hoped they would mature the same gender but unfortunately they are not. I am currently on vacation and planned to separate them once I returned, my axolotls are currently being cared for by a friend who knows the basics to care for them properly. A melanoid and a leucistic. I had a feeling but didn't prioritize it enough and now I have many many eggs in the tank with both of my axolotls. I have zero experience with eggs and cannot really care for juvenile axolotls but I really DO NOT want to kill them. What should I do? Are my axolotls okay being in the same tank with them? would the eggs be okay all together in a tank by themselves? Where can I find someone to care for them and hatch them?I'm so stressed and worried I just want the best for them all.
    +1
    Unlike
  • axie owner:
    you are going to have to get a bucket and put the eggs in that. they can hatch anytime between 11 and 20 days. order in brine shrimp eggs and get your friend to watch a video on hatching them. make sure your friend does 100% water changes every day. keep the water around 64digres and make sure your friend sends daily updates on them. i found kitchen salt works for the brine shrimp eggs. hope this helps.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Gots2knowme2:
    I am a new owner of two juvenile axolotls that are Lucie's. One has black eyes and one has silver eyes. Is that common or rare?
    +1
    Unlike
  • FP.Foxy:
    A few days ago, my Axolotl was about to die, there was something wrong with the water but he’s doing fine now. His skin is still cracked and his red things are still white
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Hi guys.. I might of made an error and need some advice. One of the hides in my tank is too small for my axie now, but I did not want to buy another hide because they are expensive, so I decided to DIY one. I used a Tupperware (cut into a little home) and glued rocks from outside and plants on it. The problem is, I washed the rocks with soap and hot water. I completely wasn’t thinking. When I washed them there was no soap residue that was visible on the rocks, and the rocks have been drying for 3 days on the container. So it has been 3 days since I washed them. I used aquarium safe silicone to glue them on. It was fully dry tonight so I decided to put it in my tank. I had it in for about 3 mins until I realized j had washed the rocks in soap, and I took it out immediately. Should I be worried??? I’m really freaking out, I don’t want anything to happen to my baby! I was truly not thinking. I also read that it was safe to use rocks from outside, but now I’m not sure? Can anyone help
    +1
    Unlike
  • Saturn:
    @Paige1warren, Since you took it out straight away it should be ok but I'd still be doing a big water change. When I was a teen, I took some rocks from outside, washed them (probably in soap) and put them in my turtle tank. He died a week or so later and I've never used any rocks from the garden since because you just don't know what's been on them, such as pesticide and I suppose the mineral composition of the rock comes in to play too. Letting them dry for a few days before adding them also would have helped so you should be fine
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    @Saturn, okay, thank you so much! Firstly, I’m so sorry about your turtle :(. My lotl seems to be fine, I haven’t noticed any changes or signs of destress. I do 25% weekly water changes (I have a fully cycled tank), but I will do a 50% change today. I hope that everything turns out fine. Axies are pretty good at showing they are not well or stressed so I’m hoping that I got the rocks out fast enough. Thank you again!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Saturn:
    @Paige1warren, Thanks hun and you're absolutely right, axolotls are so sensitive it would've showed signs. Glad your lotl is ok :)
    +1
    Unlike
  • Pookisoo:
    Hii my tiger salamander has a black bump on his head, its looks like a little spot but its forming into a bump and its like making a hole..? You can tell i need help , please help😁
    +1
    Unlike
  • Pookisoo:
    Do i just give him a salt bath?
    +1
    Unlike
  • madcaplaughs:
    You need to take him to the vet if there's a hole that's forming in his head.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Tanker:
    New to site. Have a Golden Albino and a Black Melanoid
    +1
    Unlike
  • Tanker:
    Tank size 40 gal. 2 filter pumps /substrate roughed ceramic easy to clean / feed each one night crawler every 3 rd day
    +1
    Unlike
  • Murk:
    Ceramic substrate? That sounds interesting. What should I imagine by that?
    +1
    Unlike
  • AMurry24537:
    Can't say if this is what's being referred to, but I had some ceramic tiles in an aquarium for a while. I used a silicone sealant to secure them to the bottom and to each other. It worked well for about 6 months, but eventually a little water got through my imperfect seal and started creating mold problems
    +2
    Unlike
  • Murk:
    Ooh, tiles of course. I was thinking of those ceramic rings/balls you can buy as filter medium, but tiles make more sense. Thanks
    +1
    Unlike
  • Stacy:
    Hi there, I am a new Axolotl lover & owner of two cuties! They are little over 6 months old now. I have a divider and decided to see how they would be together because they always tried to get to each other threw the border/wall.
    +1
    Unlike
  • JoyJiang:
    In PowerSchool, what is your current grade for this class?Do you have any missing or incomplete assignments for this class?If yes, what assignments do you plan to complete before the end of the marking period (March 25th)?What can I do to help you get your grade to where you need it to be before the end of the marking period?
    +1
    Unlike
  • JoyJiang:
    Oh shoot wrong thing
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • JoyJiang:
    Looolllllll
    +1
    Unlike
    JoyJiang: Looolllllll +1