High Ammonia... Help?

z0mbiekitty

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, and thanks in advance for any advice! Please be kind as this is my first time with an axie, so I'm a complete beginner.

I got my axie about 2 weeks ago. It was, unfortunately, a bit of a rushed decision because I spotted the "perfect" one and fell in love. Long story short, my tank wasn't properly cycled when I brought him home. Needless to say, I'm regretting that decision now.

Anyway, my ammonia is high, and I can't seem to get it to go down. Most mornings when I wake up, it's 4.0. I've been doing daily 50% water changes to try to control it, but it doesn't seem to be helping. My other numbers are...

PH: 7
Nitrite: 0.25
Nitrate: 0

My tank is 10 gallons. I don't have any loose substrate. I have live duck weed, bamboo and a Marimo moss ball. My axie is a juvenile, about 3 inches. He seems to be acting fine - Eating well and no signs of stress, yet. My temp hovers right around 64. I am using a canister filter.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I would strongly suggest you move your axie to a tub while you cycle your tank - that level of ammonia will do a lot of damage.
Follow the guides on here for cycling, but it is likely to take a cpuple of weeks or more - be prepared for daily tub changes for your axie.

How should I go about the tub changes? Should I have two tubs that I can alternate between from one day to the next? And what would be the best way to transfer him? A net?

Yes - 2 tubs is a good system. Net or hands is fine for moving an axie.

Okay, thank you for the advice. I will get him out of there right now. I feel dumb getting him before cycling the tank, and I don't want him to suffer because of my abrupt decision making!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back